Agnostic.com

10 5

Do masks help stop the spread of the C19 virus?

"In Missouri, two infected hairdressers kept working while infectious, but wore a mix of cloth and surgical masks, as did their 139 clients. No client was infected.
However, one hairdresser infected her household family members, as she did not wear a mask at home, and neither did her family.
This is reassuring evidence that infection risk is reduced when everyone wears masks."

[abc.net.au]

Are you wearing your mask?

FrayedBear 9 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today I walked into the chemist & had a job not to burst out laughing. Young pharmacist Daniel served in me & I couldn't resist having a go, by commenting, as all 4 pharmacists & the till assistant were all wearing face masks.

My comment "You guys work in one of the most likely places for people to spread the infection & become infected but it has taken you more than 3 months to catch up with me in wearing masks."

I really am amazed that even now only about 10% of shoppers are wearing masks and thepharmacists have only just introduced them. The workers have been partially protected by plastic spit barriers for the last month or so.

Let's see; there MUST be some reason doctors/surgeons/nurses wear the damn things for long hours. What could it be??? she says sarcastically.

This proves these two infected hairdressers need committing to the nearest loony bin

2? Or all?

Just posted this on another line too.

That's the idea, a nappy (diaper) for your face. Should have always been a legal requirement when going out in public, even before the virus, given that the mouth always contain more dangerous germs than the anus.

Much safer too to kiss someones anus than their mouth, think about that next time someone puckers up.

Well said. Some here however require scientific proof.

@FrayedBear Google will provide a wealth of such. But of course if you are selective in the sites you visit, to make sure you stay within your echo chamber, then, what good is it for science to put evidence out there.

@Fernapple EXactly!! I see that a lot around here.

F*** yes!

Of course they work. Just look at the results in countries where wearing masks were mandated.

Why oh why were you not advising American, British and Australian governments on the effectiveness of wearing masks?
I lift the hat to you. 🎩

Wearing them and wearing them correctly makes all the difference.

t1nick Level 8 July 26, 2020

Why oh why were you not advising American, British and Australian governments on the effectiveness of wearing masks?
I lift the hat to you. 🎩

@FrayedBear

This was a simple 5 minute search on YouTube. The info is out there are readily available.

@t1nick The information & advise hasn't been taken by the arrogant idiots here. "How could any god kill his god bothering people?"

Any further questions?

t1nick Level 8 July 26, 2020

. . . anecdotes (about hairdressers/individuals) are not data.

Yes, I am.

Better than crap from scientists claiming wearing is dangerous.
Many so called scientific discoveries arise from anecdotal evidence aka people's long memories.
Perhaps the best known anecdotal discovery was Dr McBride's linking of phocomelia to the drug Distaval (thalidomide) in 1961.

@LimitedLight Are who? Wat's on third, isn't he?

@LimitedLight Y'know you could be right. Perhaps they aren't scientists advising, they may be escapees from the local psychiatric ward or tv announcers and failed air hostesses!

@LimitedLight Cronies not advisor? It rarely seems that ambassadors are appointed from suitably trained people.

You are correct. Why do you think they wear masks during surgery and in infectious disease wards? It's because they work.

barjoe Level 9 July 26, 2020

I lift the hat to you. 🎩

@FrayedBear They knew that they're effective. The fear, with some justification, was that people would hoard masks. There was PPE shortage. Asian countries have been using masks well before the pandemic.

@barjoe if that is the reason - fear of hoarding & panic buying it is not the pandemic that we have to fear but the numbskulls administering society. Heard of rationing? Of course not America has been stealing everyone else's fair share for more than 100 years!

@FrayedBear If you have s problem with Americans, there's 350 million of us. Don't take it out on me. Eat Vegamite!

@barjoe lol. Can't stand the stuff. It's a waste product from brewing & the only thing to be said about Australia's beer is that it is usually strong.

@brittanya100 And you can be infected within 5 minutes of leaving quarantine.

@FrayedBear it's remotely possible yes

@barjoe A lot celebrate release by going to one of places where you are most likely going to be infected - to a club or bar for a drink. They rate at a 9 on the list of most likely places.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519071
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.