Agnostic.com

7 22

Today's hike: climbing an extremely steep ridge on elk trails.

"Where does that trail go?" Karen asked this morning. "Looks like an elk trail," I replied, eying the tiny uphill path. I know elk trails. How can a thousand-pound animal go straight up?

"Want to try it?" "Let's go," I replied, inwardly rolling my eyes. I hate bushwhacking. Give me a regular trail, please.

Up, UP we went, with me clawing uphill on hands and feet at times. Dislodge a rock and it bounced rapidly downhill, gaining speed. I stood up and nearly fell off the cliff backwards.

I was reduced to muttering bad words as I struggled uphill. "I heard the F-word," Karen teased. "That's right," I replied merrily. "And the S-word. It's aimed at this ridge, not you."

Don't Make Me Go Back

"Do you want to go back downhill?" Karen asked. She could see I was scared.

"I don't want to descend this bitch of a hill!" I replied. "We're halfway up. Let's go to the top of this ridge and find a safer way down. These rocks are unstable. When I step on a rock, it rolls downhill. I'm slower than you. Hey, I'm doing the old rest-step routine." (Step one foot up; gather yourself.) "Good for you!" Karen replied.

"I must be part mountain goat," said Karen who could magically walk uphill. "Put your feet where I step." That helped for about 10 steps. She's faster.

"Do you want to stop for a snack?" Karen asked. "No, if I set down my pack, it will instantly slide downhill," I replied and laughed. "Let's eat at the summit in shade."

After gaining 2,000 feet in elevation in less than a half-mile, we arrived in a hot, dry meadow atop the ridge. Today's high is 101 degrees, increasing to 108 tomorrow.

Descending on much easier trails, Karen and I ran through hot sun and slowed in the shade. It was exhilarating and fun. I love a challenge. I feel proud that we made it.

Look what we found! A Mariposa Lily. That's old elk poop on the left. Fertilizer.

LiterateHiker 9 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am curious... I did not see if you mentioned how long it took to gain that much altitude in only half a mile. If it were me, I would still be trudging my way to the top. 😉

@19dacar52

It took us over an hour to climb that extremely steep ridge.

While hiking, I don't time myself. Safety is my priority, not speed.

I don't wear a watch or carry a phone on hikes. In the mountains, often there's no cell phone service. Everyone else carries a smartphone.

Hiking helps me be in the moment.

@LiterateHiker I understand about saftey. I don't like heights. When I was a teen my brother and I hiked from a trail head in Yosemite. We hiked to the too of El Capitan. When we got there my brother went to the edge and sat down with his feet hanging over the edge. I could not go near the edge, I became part of the rock, lying low in fear of falling. From there we decided to go on to Yosemite creek and then descend into the valley. When we got to the top of Yosemite Falls I became part of the rocks again. Creeping along the narrow trail with my back against the cliff. I'll never forget the views and the beauty of it all but that fear of heights stands out more in my memory.

@19dacar52

On super-steep terrain, we climb and descend in a zigzag pattern. You can't go straight up and down.

This adds time and a bit more miles.

Now you have diagnosed yourself and your major concern. You are part Elk, part mountain Goat, and the rest is just you. If you had one leg shorter than the other you would be a Side Hill Gianther. My mom told me about these creatures, they come in right handed and left handed depending on the manner in which they climb on mountains.

Such a sweet lily! Thanks for sharing another great adventure hike, and I'm glad you made it back down safely.

@tinercreek

Thank you, dear.

That is a very beautiful Lily ,thanks for sharing ,I think your smaller size prevents gravity from taking advantage of you sometimes and keeps you safe 🙂 ,Thanks for the beautiful narrative as usual ,you sure are adventuress 🙂

@RoyMillar

I don't think being slim makes me safer. Karen and I are the same height: 5' 5". The difference is she hikes every day. More experience.

Thanks so much!

As always, a joy to read about your adventures!

Ohub Level 7 July 29, 2020

@Ohub

Thank you, dear.

You’re a great botanist as well as photographer and a lot of other things. Glad you didn’t go rolling downhill yourself.

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Sounds like you two had fun, nice pictures beautiful flower. 😁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.