Agnostic.com

3 3

"Every true faith is infallible, it performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishment of an effective proof. Here, the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search" Friedrich Nietzsche

Archeus_Lore 7 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Look at me, disagreeing with Nietzsche, but here I go anyway. While it may be true that people often do divide along those lines, I don't think such division is necessary. That was pretty good thinking for the 19th century, but it's no longer cutting edge. Searching for truth is the path to peace of mind and happiness, but that peace doesn't descend upon you the moment you set foot on the path. Faith is required to stay the course. The stark absence of instant gratification could otherwise tempt seekers to abandon the pursuit of truth in favor of other, more readily obtainable pleasures, like trusting our paranoia, our xenophobia, and our greed. Taking up only enough truth to make oneself miserable is a job half finished. Have faith, Mr. Nietzsche.

skado Level 9 July 31, 2020

Reading it in its original context may be helpful. This is from a letter to his sister, you will need to scroll up a little bit to see the opening of the letter.
[books.google.com]

Pretty much depends upon your criteria for happiness

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. It was only through my personal loss of faith in faith, as a mental process, that I gained the opportunity for true happiness and the peace of mind that comes from looking at oneself in the mirror, recognizing your foibles, and being willing to change one's mind. True happiness may be as simple as recognizing ones place in the cosmos, or even the narrative we choose for ourselves.

Reading it in its original context may be helpful. This is from a letter to his sister, you will need to scroll up a little bit to see the opening of the letter.
[books.google.com]

@Archeus_Lore Thank you for this share. I am even more convinced that Nietzche was off target. In this letter to his sister, Friedrich asks; "If we had believed since youth that all salvation came not from Jesus but from another--say, from Mohammed--is it not certain that we would have enjoyed the same blessings?" Later he states that "Every true faith is indeed infallible." Such comments are indegistible.

I'm assuming you mean "indigestible". Nietzsche is very subtle in his writings, and in this case, he is talking about every "faith" being "infallible" in the eyes of the believer; not from his point of view, nor is it true from the point of view of science. Science does not support absolute proof. He is talking about how people who embrace religion are filled with certainty, absolute certainty, that they own the keys to the universe . . . . and as I see it, it is that very certainty that prevents them from exploring or learning anything new . . . . . as I often comment, the beginning of wisdom is not how much we know, but how much we realize we do not know.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520240
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.