Agnostic.com

4 2

Have any atheists or anti-theists here (that I haven't blocked) ever designed a website or illustrated a book? If so, are you interested in future projects or at least discussing your past experience with me, either publicly or privately? I've had a couple of ideas brewing for some time and I think the time is now to move forward on both. Thanks for your consideration.

LovinLarge 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many commercial website platforms out there that are not all that expensive.

My glass gallery and forum format both use already established options from the web. Both were easily customized to my needs. The gallery format was free and the forum format only cost me $50 a year for use and support. Chataboutdg.com

I'm one of the non skilled ones that managed to create a pretty decent website for an NPO I started by using the template option. Like @Fernapple said, they are not difficult but somewhat limited. It worked great for what I needed and included a secure donation link and a few informational pages, but not a lot of interactivity. Doesn't take a ton of time unless you simply spend it trying to decide on a design.

That's interesting, thank you. My idea encompasses a website that could accommodate unlimited capabilities and expansion such that all interest would be welcome, although I'm not even sure that is possible in this context. One of the reasons I want my collaborator to develop the program is because if something happens to me, I would have made arrangements for that person to become sole proprietor. Sounds like I have a lot to learn either way bit I'm confident the right person will come along if my idea is feasible. If I don't move forward on this now, I probably never will.

Yes I have done three websites. Since I started early in the digital era I tend to write my own htm code, which I still think is the best way, even if it is a little slow though there are lots of ways to make it quicker.

Could you have created this website, for instance? I really do not know the ins and outs, like whether a website like this is a complicated undertaking or not.

@LovinLarge A website like this one would be a very complex undertaking yes, that I think maybe one reason why we use the ready made Facebook system here. My own web design skills certainly don't extend that far, I have only done four basic commercial web-sites and one for a club. However if you are thinking of doing one, I would say get going, because it really is very easy. You can of course get ready made and preformated sites where you just load up your pictures and text, and everything else is done for you, but they are a bit limiting, and writing code is so easy, (I think I could teach the basics in 15 mins, ) and gives you a lot more control. (And its fun.)

Another easy way to start is to simply look at a website you like, open it as htm code in a text editor , replace their text and pictures with yours , tweek it to taste, and then simply copy and paste, there are no real copy rights on code when once you have edited it, so there is no problem.

One of the things that you have to remember is that web design is not actually all that important, on the web, content is much more important, because all the search engines are built by people like Google and Yell using very high skills at great cost, and they do that inorder to see through design and find content. That is especially so when you are looking at highly specific content, if you are doing a site for say the Boston Bowling Supply Company, Google will send people almost directly to it, as soon as they type a search in, because there will be nothing else with similar wording and content. On the other hand do a site called Sexy #+#!## and you will not likely get many hits, because you are competing with millions. The web really does love speciallity. Good content and knowing your audience are much more important than clever design, which is how the web was made to work and still does to a large extent. Don't be bothered when you get get emails saying, we can design you a website that will get you twenty times the traffic, or up your ranking with google etc., these are just lies. Bulls##t Web Design and Co, of Little Town, really do not have the skills to subvert the search engines, and you do not get anywhere much by trying.

There are several good sites like Web Monkey which give tutorials and crib sheets for htm code, and you can get lots of books like 'HTLM for Dummies' from most public libaries, though they will probably tell you more than you really need to know.

I will send you a link in the messaging to one of my sites if you like.

@Fernapple Thank you very much for that information. Honestly, I have a very limited understanding of what you're talking about already, although I am certainly interested in seeing what you've done.

I'm really looking for the right collaborator who would be interested in doing the technical work to build upon and implement my ideas because even if I have the capacity, I don't have the time other than to make suggestions. Probably the very first thing I will need advice on is how expensive an undertaking it will be and that is one of the reasons I'm looking here for someone who not only wants to build but to participate in this project.

@LovinLarge Good web space for a full pro website suitable for a small business , will cost you about eighty to a hundred dollars peranum. Though a site like this you could be into thousands, it depends what you want to do. If you are paying more than a hundered dollars for a basic site, you are being ripped off. You should also budget for registration of a domain name which will cost you about 15 to 20 dollars per year, with a small extra in the first year. Web design by a pro designer will cost about three hundred to a thousand dollars per page, or more. But that is where you can make big savings, because you can build a good webpage and upload it in about ten mins, to a quarter hour. Yes it is a rip off, these people really are charging five hundred to four thousand dollars for an hours work. Your best bet therefore is either to learn to do it yourself, or find a friendly geek who will do it for fun.

@Fernapple That's very helpful and gives me a lot to think about, thank you. Sounds like what I want to do is affordaboe if I can find the right collaborator. I have also advertised for someone on my local Craig's List but it will be harder to find someone non-religious there.

@LovinLarge IS it a nonereligious web site, in the same sense this one is, or is it just that you don't want to work with a religious pernson ? Oh I forgot to mention, there is a real quick way to make web pages. Just take any document you have, in a word prossesor, say Microsoft Word, open the save menu, give it a new name, use the drop down save as and click, save as htm. Then view on your brouser, to see the code just open it with notepad or anny text editor which does not support htm. That is a very simple game which will give you an idea how it works.

@Fernapple I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I have no problem working with religious people but this will be a non-religious website that only a non-religious web designer would be appropriate for.

I have a laptop that I haven't opened in years. To date, my phone can do everything I need except draft documents, which I just do by hand. I like just using my phone because it is so easy to carry with me but I think that will limit me with regard to web design. I am in the middle of liquidating my possessions on ebay and Craig's List and any time I spend on this project detracts from that although if I don't proceed now it probably never will.

@LovinLarge Best wishes hope it all works out. Let me know what you do if you can. And you know where to find me.

@Fernapple Thank you very much, you have been very helpful. I may have more questions, but I have a better idea of what I am getting myself into and how to proceed. I appreciate the effort you made on my behalf.

I can draw a bit. I've never done any book illustrations but I always thought it could be cool.

Thank you. I will keep it in mind because I can not draw as much as a stick figure.

@LovinLarge they are trickier than you'd think.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.