Agnostic.com

10 6

Wow, apparently Jesus was a holy terror growing up! How many time-outs did Mary and Joseph give him?

[vice.com]

The Bible is notoriously scant on details of Jesus's life between his circumcision at eight days old, flight to Egypt, brief tenure impressing folks at the temple in Jerusalem at age 12, and baptism at 30. Even these events are handled in just a few lines. Early Christian and classical rhetoric scholar Mike Whitenton of Baylor University points out that early Christians were likely underwhelmed by this lack of detail in Jesus's origin story. ... To address this, early Christians, already busy creating other non-canonical biblical books—think the gnostic gospels and various other apocrypha—recorded or invented a host of stories about Jesus's childhood.

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas: [sacred-texts.com]

The Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew: [gnosis.org]

The Arabic Infancy Gospel: [ccel.org]

The Infancy Gospel of James: [asu.edu]

altschmerz 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I understand you guys have a lot of questions and you should, I implore that and it makes perfect sense, but many if not all of you are doing what you claim followers of god do without realising it; you request evidence then ‘theorise’ claims and turn them into fact based off of your own volition, you reject the ‘evidence’ that presents itself to you (if it isn’t sufficient based on how you ‘want’ it to be revealed to you) and (though I am sorry for many of your losses an I pray you have or find peace) allow your pain to speak for your mind. Those who believe solely ‘seeing’ is ‘believings’ Logic is very flawed as even in science it is revealed to us we cannot even seen or hear the entirety of the visible or sound spectrum and that there is a lot more going on around us then we realise, in god (that is Yahweh) is built primarily upon faith not sight (so naturally those who do not have any will not find god) the two do connect but you only are susceptible to seeing such when you broaden your scope and actually find god, then these things will be revealed to you, study the word and actually apply it to your life (not ‘in part‘, but as a whole) and god will reveal himself to you. John 12:23 “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” Try it
One last thing I’ll say; if you admittedly don’t have the answer then you don’t actually have any right to accuse those who come with one of falsity for you of your own admittance do not know the truth, I implore you to ‘ask questions’ an keeping ‘asking questions’ their are answers to all things and there is a superiority who has all the answers and those who gain understanding through the inpartment of his wisdom, I can tell you everything under the sun but I’m slowly learning that it will all come to nothing in comparison to actually having an encounter with god for yourself so I encourage you to seek him out so you can, I am a follower of Christ btw. Peace love an respect cause either way I got love for you guys anyway, an if you have any questions I’ll be more than happy to answer when I can as best I can or direct you to where you can find the answer.

@altschmerz Oh thanks for the info about the site actually was very helpful appreciate it 👌🏾 And Yh I kinda assumed you all were once Christian tbh as I spent the first maybe 30 minutes on the site just scrolling through the comments and just reading people’s opinions (and yes some were very harsh) but I understand tbh, none of this is easy and my heart goes out to all of you for seeking the truth cause their are times when even I loose faith and I question everything and whenever I do all roads lead back home, you see a lot of what I find is a lot of people who leave Christianity fall into 1 of 3 categories or all of the above; negative expearience with ‘so called Christians’ or ‘the church’ who condemn individuals any chance they get, are rude, generic giving answers to serious questions that don’t even come from the spirit of god or just downright show lack of regard for those battling the world in their own arrogance and ignorance, god says to them “if you love me you will follow my commandments” and they break them in these very acts and so I humbly say they cannot be true followers of Christ if they in their heart see righteousness in their actions and i apologise on their behalf if you have in any way experienced this. 2. Seing all the suffering in the world, in themselves and/or in those they love and question why god ‘allows’ it to happen and in their pain they are driven from god or they lack understanding of scripture which causes them to question it (naturally) and without those fit to answer present they begin to occupy a different trail of thought based on what they know, an lemme get off my horse cause I’m no different, I’ve never once renounced god but I have certainly lost faith and it hurts at my lowest I legitimately said “god, whoever you are, if you exist, please reveal yourself to me”, now I’m fortunate enough to have grown up in a family who trained me up in the word and are very spiritual and close to god, we pride ourself on humility and knowing that we don’t have all the answers and so in this we make room for god who can supply all the answers, both my parents were very supportive of me and told at one point out of no where sat me and my brothers down and straight up said “guys we just wanted to check where you were with god, do you have any other interests or have felt led in another direction, ‘ no wrong answers’ just be honest” you see they wanted to be sure they weren’t forcing anything on us because that is the exact same way god is in giving us free will to make our own choices, but none of us left the faith and in staying within god I’ve gained greater understanding of his nature, how he thinks, the justice behind his actions and the reasoning behind his inaction, long story short (which I can go into further detail and will do if you are interested but as of now I don’t wanna drone on too long) the closer you are to god the greater your understanding of his nature you will become? From his every action right down to creation itself and how the spiritual and the physical meet with one another, and you draw nearer to god by not only ‘reading’ but ‘meditating’ on and most importantly ‘living’ his word. And just to finish off I am in no way gonna enforce anything in any of you guys, cause I get it, I really do, and it hurts to see it it truly does, cause I know what it’s like to feel lost or uncertain in the way you described, but if nothing else I will pray for you guys; not even anything major to start with, but simply that you find ‘the truth’. Again feel free to message me back with anything, I’m not god almighty but id like to think I’m a conduit to his word on my best day 😄

I’m ok not having all of the answers. If your bible
is your moral code, you have not read it.

@altschmerz Nah I’m here to gain a better understanding and even offer guidance if it’s ever wanted, my apologies, maybe I’ve been doing too much talking and not enough listening, I’ll take that into account for next time.
Also the 3rd category was “lacking in understanding of scripture which causes them to question it (naturally) and without those fit to answer present they begin to occupy a different trail of thought based on what they know“ and I’ll add as a bonus the fact that many have had encounters with ‘Christians’ and not actually god ‘himself’

@Wildgreens How so? (Serious question)

@Redeemed ha surely bc "Yah condones slavery, Yah demands slaughter and genocide, Yah suggests that women are chattel," all the goto ignorances of a literal reader imo

I understand you guys have a lot of questions and you should, I implore that and it makes perfect sense, but many if not all of you are doing what you claim followers of god do without realising it; you request evidence then ‘theorise’ claims and turn them into fact based off of your own volition, you reject the ‘evidence’ that presents itself to you (if it isn’t sufficient based on how you ‘want’ it to be revealed to you) and (though I am sorry for many of your losses an I pray you have or find peace) allow your pain to speak for your mind. Those who believe solely ‘seeing’ is ‘believings’ Logic is very flawed as even in science it is revealed to us we cannot even seen or hear the entirety of the visible or sound spectrum and that there is a lot more going on around us then we realise, in god (that is Yahweh) is built primarily upon faith not sight (so naturally those who do not have any will not find god) the two do connect but you only are susceptible to seeing such when you broaden your scope and actually find god, then these things will be revealed to you, study the word and actually apply it to your life (not ‘in part‘, but as a whole) and god will reveal himself to you. John 12:23 “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” Try it
One last thing I’ll say; if you admittedly don’t have the answer then you don’t actually have any right to accuse those who come with one of falsity for you of your own admittance do not know the truth, I implore you to ‘ask questions’ an keeping ‘asking questions’ their are answers to all things and there is a superiority who has all the answers and those who gain understanding through the inpartment of his wisdom, I am a follower of Christ btw. Peace love an respect cause either way I got love for you guys anyway, an if you have any questions I’ll be more than happy to answer when I can as best I can or direct you to where you can find the answer.

@altschmerz my bad, new here lol, and thanks appreciate it, I’ll take it into account

imo i wouldnt be falling into the trap of believers, caught up in their own imaginations? Ppl who seek to go to heaven after they have died, and other unbiblical beliefs?
No son of man may die for another's sins
No one has ever gone up to heaven
Your bargain with the grave will be annulled

i mean arent these explosive enough, iyo?
They make that shit up, imo, bc they cannot read the book they were given, and prefer lies

@altschmerz ah well you say "contradicts" but i think most/all of them have solutions, post any you think are unsolvable if you like. The outright lies though, these im finding more surprising, maybe bc i just found that site

It’s not my fan fiction but I’ll hazard a guess that Jesus (there was never a Jesus) went to Egypt to study at a non muggle university.

There is a charming old legend. Charming that is if you are English. That during the missing years he went traveling with his uncle Joseph of Arimathea, and that they voyaged to England, the south west especially.
Given that no one really has any idea if either of them really existed, but that there is some anecdotal evidence that Joseph came to the UK later, was a tin trader, (south west England being the main ancient source of tin ) and that many young boys in that culture were apprenticed to their uncles. And given that the young adult Jesus, does act a lot like a returning traveler, who has gained some sophistication from travel that the stay at homes lack. Its as good a story as any. You can have all sorts of fun with it, just to see how much gullible Christians can take.

Are these published under the fantasy category?

More fan fiction.
Yay.
🙄

No evidence, at all, for Jesus to have existed. That said, according to some "gospels" not biblisized and to some Islamic texts Jesus's first miracle occurred after he accidentally killed a friend by pushing him off of a roof, then resurrecting him. Or, from the same texts, making clay birds come alive and doing something similar to a bully who kills one.

There is no archeological evidence that the historical figure known as Jesus ever existed and that the exodus, the great flood and many other stories ever happened.

There is also no evidence that the historical land of israel ever existed. In fact, there is heavy evidence to the contrary.

SCal Level 7 Aug 2, 2020

@altschmerz

You think?

Or you wish because your identity is tied to that religion?

@altschmerz

Whaaaat? Link me. I must see. The archeologists ive seen have said that people who say their race is jewish, are actually just Syrians or Egyptians.

There is no evidence this region known as the original israel actually existed. Even scientists who identify as jewish have said this.

@altschmerz

No evidence. In fact, tons of evidence to the contrary.

@altschmerz

It's pretty clear that people called jews were never slaves in Egypt. The exodus, like the rest of the stories in the bible, are a mix of myth and legend.

Egypt during that time and for centuries before were ruled by pharaoh Ramses II. It is well documented that during that time Egypt stretched from current day Egypt to current day Turkey. So if the exodus or any stories in the talmud or bible regarding the original israel were true, that means millions of jews would have fled slavery in Egypt to a region that was also still Egypt. All while not leaving a single trace of their existence. Probability factor less than 1%.

@altschmerz

Thank you for sharing. I typically love reading and watching this type of content. I'm a bit too busy to watch 1 5 hours, but based on your commentary above it sounds like israel of the gaps.

I'm going to eventually try to watch it, but I've been following this stuff for decades.

Ramesses II scribes were highly detailed and all of the regions he conquered were catalogued meticulously. No mention of these people, or any mention of a region called israel. The region currently known as israel is clearly within the regions conquered, catalogued and scribed. Which is why most prudent archaeologists and historians believe that people who call themselves jews are either Egyptians or Syrians.

John Prine knew all about it...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.