Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK U of I requiring COVID-19 testing for on-campus faculty, students | Top Stories | wandtv.com

Completely free testing twice a week for all students and staff...and here's that spit test someone here was spitballing (no pun intended) about previously.
U of I seems to have their shit together.

#pun
Amzungu 8 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Big learning curve ahead! Virus respect no age group, you will soon learn it isn't "just an old people's problem." Once the glossing-over of 150,000 deaths of "old people" stops, I expect complete rage sweeping through the country.

Not sure where that's coming from. Not once have I ever called this an 'old people's virus'. My eyes are wide open. They are still doing predominantly online learning, and my only point was that they have a better plan in place to minimize the spread and protect their students and staff that do have to be on campus for thnigs than most institutions I have seen. There are things that can be done, and they are seemingly doing all of them. It is refreshing to see an institution taking the responsibility and doing everything they can rather than just opening their doors and crossing their fingers like they did at Liberty University.

And by the time people on Campus are testing positive in big numbers it's to late and the Virus will spread more. You cannot open schools when you are at the PEAK of your Pandemic. That's nuts.
And example would be Norway and Sweden. 2 countries beside each other with similar populations. Norway closed it's schools and had 256 deaths. Sweden kept it's schools open and had 5,744 deaths. The populations in Both countries practiced social distancing. The Big difference between them was Schools being open or closed. With the Virus running rampant in the US, testing on Campus will achieve one thing. It will let you know how fucked you are. That's all.

I certainly am not supporting a full opening of schools. My son is doing online only until at least October, and considering I doubt we'll have much more of a grip on this thing then than we do now, I expect that to extend into the following semester as well. Universities are a bit more difficult to completely shut down, especially one's with such a high number of international students as there is at U of I, though I do know U of I is doing everything online that they can. And the test they developed has a much shorted turn around time for results that what we see in the wider community, so combined with their contact tracing and other measures, may be somewhat successful at keeping this fall from become a widespread fatal one at their campus. My only point was that they have a more comprehensive plan in place than most institutions I have seen and are at least doing every thing they can to minimize the risk for those students and staff that do have to be on campus for things. But hey, I work at the only hospital in the same town, so we will shortly see how effective it may be.

@Amzungu Nobody "Has to be on Campus" NOTHING should open. In fact Florida should be going into a complete lockdown for 8 weeks. Anything short of that and the Virus will continue to spread out of control.

They have to. If they don't it will be a disaster. It still might.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521281
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.