Agnostic.com

5 4

Rowan Atkinson on free speech.

nogod4me 8 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generally, what he says sounds reasonable. And it might work in a reasonable society, which is not what we have in the U.S., nor, apparently in the UK., as OwlInaSack refers to.

Like the bar owner, who kicked out the otherwise nice appearing guy, who had swastikas and other tattoos of hate emblazoned on his body, told a bystander: "If you serve him, he'll bring a friend, and then another, and so on.
Karl Popper-

The question of how to tolerate the intolerant was put beautifully by a philosopher named Karl Popper in 1945.

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance," he wrote. "If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

So, basically, if you tolerate the intolerant, the intolerant will eventually wipe out tolerance.

So true!

I posted the video without the influence of my commentary because it reminded me of a situation we are going through in our neighborhood and I wanted other’s opinions. A neighbor’s dog has bitten a few people and has tried on many occasions to kill other dogs and pets. Most of the community is in favor of banning or penning up vicious dogs, however, we have a couple of people who say that if we ban or lockup one dog then we need to do the same for every dog in the community. They refuse to understand that the vicious dog’s intent is to hurt or kill other dogs and people, it is not the intent of the other dogs in the neighborhood to do so. We are not trying to take away their freedoms, we are preventing them from taking away the freedom of others. People are not able walk by the neighbor’s house without being threatened or attacked.

This reminded me of the arguments about free speech. We have free speech but do we have the freedom to incite hatred, hurt, and murder? Free speech is not the same as hate speech. Hate speech may be free to say but it costs too much when it is inciting violence. It violates the rights of others because it calls for the disenfranchisement of others and/or condones acts of violence against them.

Maybe governments allow free speech to include hate speech to easily incite citizens against those who oppose them?

@nogod4me I understand your point, and agree with you.
I do not know that "governments allow free septet include hate speech," in the way you suggest, but THIS government certainly seems to!

A good speech.

sticks and stones....

People want the freedom to say what they want but want to stop hate speech. I don't like it and it should be condemned and exposed but it's all included in free speech.

@Jetty some people are

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.