Agnostic.com

3 3

I am becoming more isolated now.
When the pandemic blitz began, I relocated from my home in New Mexico to Colorado, to live with and support my 81-year-old mother. My mother and I were prudent and did not go out much, but did some food shopping, picked up some takeout, and did some very low-key socializing with neighbors. Regardless, we spent the time enjoying each other's company.
Now I have returned to New Mexico, and I see even fewer people than I did before...I am going to be working/teaching online this fall, and I returned to get some things sorted out before I return to Colorado (because I can). The only real company I have is my dog, who makes all the difference in the world; I doubt I would get up most mornings if it was not for him.

What I am feeling like is that I am at the end of a long, long, and still-unreeling tether. I have no one to speak to (which is not exactly new, but feels more acute) about my day. I don't even have anyone to chit-chat with except the clerk at a convenience store or such. It's like Waiting for Godot, except it's me and my dog.

I am trying to make more social connections, but feel like there are huge obstacles in the way. Anyone else feeling this way? What do you do?

Green_Chile_Type 6 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would likely be in the same boat if I didn't live in a condo complex where I chat with various neighbors when we happen to be using the pool at the same time. For a while I was walking with a friend, but I'm scaling back my interaction with her since she's not as careful as I am about keeping her distance.

I know where I can find friends (at a local waterhole/music venue) but my last few experiences with them scared me in that they were not being careful. I'm just not willing to take those risks right now - so temporarily keeping to myself.

Maybe you can find a walking partner to social distance walk/talk or something? When I have a regular walking partner, we take turns sharing what's on our minds, and it's a bit therapeutic.

@Green_Chile_Type Do you have a dog park near you? That could be an excellent way to find a walking partner - or someone who would appreciate a visit while your dogs play.

Hey there, @Green_Chile_Type. I think you're far from alone in feeling this way. I know I do. So many isolation stories seem to be about people frustrated with being confined with their family full-time, but I think it's much, much harder for people who are isolating alone. I'm glad you've been able to be with your mother until now, but you'll probably have some withdrawal symptoms from that personal contact for a while. My mother and I are in each other's (very small) isolation circles, and we see each other most Sunday afternoons. It's been a lifesaver for me. We hug a lot. 🙂

I strongly recommend online interactions, which have become really important to me. Plus, there are some wonderful people here to offer support and entertainment or just some intense debate. I'm trying to find ways to co-exist with covid by branching into other safe interactions, but it's slow going. It looks like you're taking a good first step by opening the conversation here, so good for you.

Hello from Fort Collins. Staying home for more than 2 days used to trigger my depression. I don't know what happened but I have settled right in to staying home six days a week because I would not survive the virus. My work is now online so it works out okay. I have always been a loner but I admit that this level of isolation can't be healthy. I have one relative in another part of Colorado that I can talk to once a week but right now I am trying to talk her out of voting for Trump again.

It is hard to meet people, especially now. Some people are willing to risk go to gathering places like restaurants, but not I. I even tried a meetup group some years ago but eventually decided it wasn't for me. I agree that pets are a comfort, but I sure wish they could speak English. I think those of us without pre-existing relationships are in a bind. I think we're just going to have to make due until the crisis passes.

I'm glad you have your mother. I sure miss mine. I don't have much to offer anyone and starting new friendships is a bit dicey for me but I wanted to say "hello" and at the very least let you know that you're not alone.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521941
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.