Agnostic.com

7 20

Today's hike: Cougar kill and undulating snake tracks in the dust.

In August, we're waiting for fall flowers. Nothing is blooming in the mountains. There's always something to see if you pay attention.

On hot days, Karen and I have been hiking in early morning on shady mountain bike trails above Squilchuck State Park.

Today saw we saw undulating snake tracks in the dust. The smallest baby deer track was less than 1-1/2" in length. Where was mama deer? "Her tracks were probably obliterated by mountain bikes in the dust," I said.

The lower half of a large white jackrabbit was on the trail. "That's cougar kill," Karen said. "See the entrails? Cougar always disembowel their prey. They just want the meat."

"It looks recent," I replied.

"The cougar took the upper half into the woods to eat," Karen said. She didn't let me take a picture. "That's gross."

We looked at each other and skedaddled. The cougar will return for the rest of the jackrabbit.

In snow, we see animal tracks: bear, deer, elk, cougar, jackrabbits, chipmunks, mice, owls pushing off with their wings to fly, and tiny bird tracks. It's fun to see who lives there.

Here are photos taken while hiking Squilchuck State Park in other seasons.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love your narratives ,so colourful like the pics of the flowers you post ,Gorgeous winter pic of you looking so happy and content, Yes signs of a cougar near by would make one a bit apprehensive for sure,Happy Karen had her cougar repellent,,Enjoy your day πŸ™‚

@RoyMillar

We knew the cougar was watching us. Naturally, we couldn't see it. Cougar are extremely elusive.

Thank you for your kind words.

In that picture on Feb. 2, 2018, I was recovering from pneumonia. I felt thrilled to be snowshoeing on a beautiful day! To me, I look too thin.

Four months later, I updated my pneumonia vaccine.

So very sorry you have that ,take real good care of your self ,it can be very nasty as we get older ,Certainly hope you shake it soon,sending you warm healing hugs

@RoyMillar

I was recovering from pneumonia in that picture on 2/2/2018.

Have not had it since the pneumonia vaccine updates in May and June 2018. Yay!

Happy to hear that ,I am getting my updated shingles vaccines,have had the first shot,next month go forthe 2nd

@RoyMillar

Excellent. I had the shingles vaccines last year.

Had shingles twice. Most recently in the nerves on the left side of my face. Luckily, no blisters or permanent nerve damage.

@literateHiker My father had the shingles a few times not a pretty sight,i had the old vaccine but getting the updated ones to stay safe

Oh no.. A cougar! Do you have protection?

Nice photos btw..

@Cutiebeauty

Karen carries cougar spray.

I always hike with other people. Safety in numbers.

Love the snow pics. I miss snow.
Cougars generally won't bother you unless you run or make a fast move. I've run into them before. Just backed away slowly and everything's fine.

Great shots

@bobwjr

Thank you!

Nice photos, pretty flowers, April showers bring May flowers, they have rabbits,owls, foxes dear here, I had a woodchuck that's been digging under the skirting of the trailer making big holes in the ground tearing it up, the snow looks pretty deep there, there has been a baby rabbit hanging around the yard here, he's pretty cool, you can hear the owl's in the trees at night here, I always enjoy your photos of the Norhwoods.

As usual, very interesting. πŸ™‚

@DenoPenno

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker I always read what you post.

You always look good in your pics. Definitely don’t want to be cougarr kill

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521966
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.