Agnostic.com

10 16

LINK The Satanic Temple Announces ‘Religious Abortion Ritual’ To Overcome Anti-Abortion Laws | Michael Stone

I think the Satanic Temple often overplays their hand with regards to fighting for separation of church and state, but if this could help a woman trapped in a conservative state with draconian abortion laws, I'm all for it.

OldMetalHead 9 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am so fed up with atheists supporting the ST. The ST, IS a religion without deities. They have rituals, tenets, branches, hierarchy etc. They also started as a response to the way the Satanic Church was operating at the moment; not as a secular activist group. Please fellow atheists, don't fall for their marketing trap. Stop promoting silly organisations who can only damage our cause in the long run (see Leontion's post for an example of this).

Fighting the stupidity of religiosity with stupidity, is a stupid idea. We should be fighting religiosity withe reason and science, not tenets...

I used to feel this way too. I thought any organized religion has to be in "it" for something. I always considered myself a secular humanist if put to the question. Recently, with all that is going on, I thought really hard about it and realized that TST specifically is using the religion as a way to fight back. I have always tried to respect others religious rights but they never seem to respect my non-religiousness. I don't think we can expect people to go from believing in a virgin birth to a reasonable and rational conversation. So why not use the rules set in place by established institutions for goals we would actually like to achieve. A good example is the religious right of abortion now, based on the third tenet. As an atheist, our government doesn't care about your individual rights. AS A Religion, you have the right to practice how you see fit. I don't think it's the rational, intelligent conversation you're looking for about the subject but if it allows people access to something that could make their life better in some way, then I am all about it. I am proud to say I am a card carrying member of The Satanic Temple. Hail Satan.

The satanists often mess up the fundamentalist Christians and that is great by me. Christians want certain rights and governmental subsidies, fine, let them share these with the Satanists. It too is a religion.

I'm actually okay with this.

@OldMetalHead It is a religion without a deity. It has hierarchy, branches, tenets and rituals...

@tsallinia My (somewhat limited) view of Buddhism fits those categories. I think TST uses the 'religion' aspect more like a weapon -- especially against Xians.

@FearlessFly They 🌪 use rituals for personal reasons. Not as a weapon of activism.

Indeed, Buddhism is a religion for all those reasons, plus the supernatural belief of karma, plains of existence, deities in some of those etc. Still a religion though, for having rituals etc.

If you have ever been in a Buddhist meditation session in a monastery, you would know straight away that they are a religion too.

@tsallinia . . . your opinion ? or evidence ?

@tsallinia (your edited comments) I have no reason to criticize the religion nomenclature of Buddhism, I think of it as a 'worldview' because of the lack of deity.

You have not answered my question(s) about your original comment about TST -- opinion or evidence ?

@FearlessFly Evidence. Watch the documentary Hail Satan? for the rituals and hierarchy, and read their webpage and the Satanic Church's webpage for the reason of their ''schism''.

Also, Buddhists do believe in the existence of deities, but they do not worship them. According to karmic laws, you can become a deity yourself.

@tsallinia I have requested the documentary from my local library, and have read the 'schism' article.

[npr.org]

"ABOUT US
The Mission Of The Satanic Temple Is To Encourage Benevolence And Empathy, Reject Tyrannical Authority, Advocate Practical Common Sense, Oppose Injustice, And Undertake Noble Pursuits."

Your interpretation of TST is your opinion, not evidence.
IMO, their reasons/tenets/activism are not "personal". ymmv

@FearlessFly You have quoted this: "ABOUT US
The Mission Of The Satanic Temple Is To Encourage Benevolence And Empathy, Reject Tyrannical Authority, Advocate Practical Common Sense, Oppose Injustice, And Undertake Noble Pursuits."

Your interpretation of TST is your opinion, not evidence.
IMO, their reasons/tenets/activism are not "personal". ymmv

What this has to do with the matter of whether or not the ST is a religion? You can be a muslim, christian, hindu etc. and still aspire to oppose injustice, undertake noble pursuits and many more.

@tsallinia I have NO problem with TST being a religion. 😛

One of their local leaders came to make a presentation at the MN Atheists monthly meetings. I liked it.

Whether that could be just a (clever) strategy to get IRS approval ? -- don't care. I like their lack of deity-worship and their activism -- especially exposing the hypocrisy of Xians.

@FearlessFly 🙂

It really is a double edged sword.
On one hand I like the idea of killing babies.
On the other hand.. I hate the idea of woman making decisions for themselves.

@OldMetalHead can’t remember. I made myself a tshirt with that on it though.

Good for them. To hell with the state, their tyrants and their edicts.

SCal Level 7 Aug 6, 2020

. . . another "good fight" by TST :

[startribune.com]

Separation of church and state. You go, Satan.

good luck with that!

Yeah, some days they just get weird. But, I like their idea. It is religious freedom.
In the Navy, when stationed in San Diego I made friends with an older couple who lead a Satanist group. They were a lot like a middle age hippie family that fed everyone, had conservative dress, smoked great weed, and treated people decently. They dressed three or four acting troupes and sold old reworked clothing.

It is sad that the need for this exists with all the people opposing wearing masks with "it's my body" statements. Good for STA! 😈

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.