Agnostic.com

53 6

I am in a quandry and would like some opinions. My eldest cousin just died, from cancer not covid. I don't do wakes. I am a crier and I don't think that helps anyone. The obituary requests that donations be made to the St. Vincent de Paul Society. She was a founding member in her town. I really don't want to donate to a Catholic charity. What can I do?

NHjulie 8 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unless you know the funds would not be used in a charitable way, I would honor the deceased last wishes. I know some very good Catholics and some racist hypocrites, there is good and bad in all walks of life.

AvisG Level 4 Aug 7, 2020

I think it would be wise to follow Marionville's advice, which is where I was going, before I saw it.

I don't know why money should be a part of grieving but if you feel you need to contribute something to satisfy that request, donate quietly to some charity your cousin would have also approved. Food pantry, homeless shelter, etc.

@IrishTxJudy Donate where you want, then send a card saying where you donated. If there is any pushing and shoving, just say you could not get the St Whatever, web site to work.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.