Agnostic.com

11 5

Have we limited love entirely?

Do we even understand love full circle? Why is it we feel all types of love? How is it we can feel a significant other kind of love with more than one person? Is it that ignorance has become us and we struggle to understand our own emotions? More so, would that mean we have not felt true love it it's entirety?

AwkwardTurtle 4 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You pose some good questions. I agree that we have the capacity to love multiple people in an amorous and sexual way, along with establishing deeper bonds.

I agree too, that we live in a society where introspection is not encouraged and, more over, stifled by our quickened pace... our superficial interactions with others... our reliance on others to define our self worth...

Good read. Thanks.

I hope not.

Robb Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

love is not possessive, we cannot know love without understanding that. if you have a mutually stronger bond with one lover than another, and both or all involved parties are happy and know the situation, then that is love. we all have different concepts of love, but it's only love if it is selfless.

just my take on it.

Most people don't understand that emotions are a result of our animal instincts. people do not think of their emotions as beign driven by instincts (at least in part, they have underlying influences on our emotions). Our instincts are mostly geared towards survival of the species, not in generating happiness. Rather happiness is often a by product of behavior(s) performed that that help us survive.

Rational thought allows us to adapt our survival instincts to our own particular life circumstances, although our abilities to do this differ greatly.

It is unfortunate that we only have one word for "love in the English language as it doesn't help us to hve much more than the most general understanding of what love it or how to handle it.

If you look at love as an instinct that evolved to help oru species develop long term associations to help procreation and the survival of children, you may have a better grasp on where it comes from. However, emotions are generally not rational, so dont' expect love to make sense.

Calm down a lot of the answer to these questions is youth. I was young once for about a week and a half. I understand.

You are a pretty young girl the worst is in front of you. Strap in.

Seems to me, from my personal experience and observations, that more and more of the new generation expect this instant love appeal to be legit. Which it is not. Love takes awkward hard work to develop, and sometimes people write off others too fast for too trivial of reasons.

That's a smart, positive and loving questioning.. thank you for stimulating the soul within us.
I'd like to share my resent realization about this matter with these points of view:

• A simple harmony within a piece of music or within a flower is LOVE.
  • You as a “being” is LOVE itself.
  • We as “Humans” are in need to experience the physical relations type of love which is in fact a lower state of love; because it's conditional and limited, we won’t be satisfied and still want more.
  • Love in relations of the same kind is a need and beautiful, but still it’s primitive comparing to the love in higher state of consciousness and other life forms higher than the carbon based organisms.
    Peace and Love

We call a lot of things "love" and mean various things by it: the protectiveness of a parent for a child, the dependency of a child for a parent, the lust and pair-bonding for a lover, the shared experience between friends. I think it would be better to have distinct words for each type of love, like the Eskimos have for types of snow. 🙂 I don't think we're lacking a capacity for love or that we're missing out on the full spectrum of love; to me it's just that we have various emotional relationships with a variety of people who satisfy different psychological needs within us.

Do we even understand love full circle?

No, not scientifically at least. Though I hear we're making big strides towards that, and as I've read somewhere in the comments, like most things that happen in the brain, it's a chemical reaction, regardless of type.

Why is it we feel all types of love?

Not really sure how to respond to this, it's pretty vague. Short answer, because there are all types of people, and the chemicals our brains produce make us feel all types of love.

How is it we can feel a significant other kind of love with more than one person?

Because it's difficult to believe in the "one true love" mindset when you know anything about statistics. There are many people out there that you could potentially be with for the rest of your life, it's more a decision to do so than a "someone out there is the one for me" kind of thing.

Is it that ignorance has become us and we struggle to understand our own emotions?

Anyone that falls in love comfortably and has no struggle understanding it sounds pretty boring to me, but I suppose it would save a lot of the negative emotions that come with love.

More so, would that mean we have not felt true love it it's entirety?

I don't think true love exists as a 'love at first sight' type of deal. You become infatuated with someone, as time progresses you learn more and it either improves or hurts the relationship. True love is simple, it's a choice you make, even if it's the wrong one. You make a choice to love someone, regardless of faults, sometimes to the detriment of your own life, sometimes to it's benefit.

I find it difficult to interpret your statements. Please write with more precision, clarity, and directness.

Interesting question. Something to ponder and get back to you on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.