Agnostic.com

1 2

Should we stop meddling with pandas ? Why/not ?

(Of course they are, but please don't play the "cute" card)

Other mammals lose out in panda conservation drive

[bbc.com]

Humans should stop meddling with pandas and let them die

[qz.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure why neither of these are available but, if they're an argument for stopping the conservation effort to save giant pandas, I'll argue with them forever. Every species is part of a huge chain of life in its ecosystem. Take pandas away and we sever a link in that chain. Anyone with a brain will understand that pandas have been driven toward extinction by "HUMAN MEDDLING." We have no right to doom a species. We DO have a moral obligation to save it.

One of the arguments is that by the efforts to save the panda, MULTIPLE other (panda area related) species are being driven to extinction.

I have little doubt these arguments can be found in other sources.

@FearlessFly I have little doubt, too. However, another thing you should know is that panda conservation is an ENORMOUS money-maker for the Chinese government. For example...if you're a non-Chinese zoo who wants to exhibit pandas....you RENT one from China. It costs a cool million per year, per panda! You also have to bring over/house a Chinese ''keeper''....pay his/her living expenses during the year. If your rented panda should happen to give birth while she's visiting your zoo....well, it's ANOTHER million per year, per animal.

Now...if (big IF there) the Chinese are mistreating other species (I have trouble with that idea)...it's due to a failure of their people....NOT a failure of the international ''rescue'' program for giant pandas.

@LucyLoohoo All that is discussed in one of the articles.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.