Agnostic.com

5 6

A new desalination method (beyond me, but I so hope it works out!) - [inverse.com]

Allamanda 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Awesome, efficient simple material that far outperforms anything else

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 12, 2020

Any new way of securing a supply of safe drinking water has to be welcomed. Those of us who live in parts of the world where clean safe drinking water from our household taps is taken as a normal occurrence, cannot know what it must be like not to have it.

Safe clean water is THE most important thing we need to secure for everyone... this looks interesting

The headline is sensationalist. . .

(succinctly slightly edited)
"30 min of absorption in the dark by an incredibly porous compound with crystalline structure, with so many nooks and crevices within it that its overall surface area is actually the largest per unit measure of any known material"

. . . then 4 min in the sunlight "causes the material to release its collected salt and begin the absorption process again for many more cycles."

@Allamanda

I was for several months the watertender aboard a US Navy destroyer and managed the highly efficient triple-stage boiler-condenser that made seawater usable for the crew and the ship. That was decades ago and since then I’ve paid attention to desalination, and even to issues of “Who owns a region’s water?”

The directors of some of the world’s corporations have long been thinking of the future, and I think it reasonable to say the material’s releasing its collected salt has consequences.

@Allamanda Did you watch me gradually editing my first draft? ‘Fess up.

@Allamanda I neither counted how many times I edited that “I was for several....” comment nor timed my efforts—maybe eight edits and twenty minutes.

How quickly after I hit “Reply” does the site’s software display a comment? I hit “Reply” the eighth(?) time, look up the screen, and immediately see your alert. The software and you are fast! ‘Fess up.

@Allamanda And their ways mysterious?

@Allamanda Hm-mm, got it. An always begins at level 8; another always begins at level 9.

Interesting.

I heard a report the other day about a new process that produces molecule-thick sheets of graphene. They mentioned it could be used for desalination, but gave no explanation how.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.