Agnostic.com

6 4

Can you get COVID-19 from second-hand smoke? Here's what experts say.

"Smokers probably aren't wearing masks, for one.

Scientists believe that the main way the coronavirus is spread is through close contact with infected people via oral and nasal secretions, including saliva and respiratory droplets released from the mouth or nose when someone coughs, sneezes, speaks or sings.

"While there are no studies looking directly at secondhand smoke and the spread of the coronavirus, the same droplets people spray when they’re coughing, sneezing, or talking are exhaled when they’re smoking (and vaping).

"Additionally, it’s possible that the smaller evaporated particles that are released when speaking, singing, and smoking may be transmitted via aerosolization (i.e. staying in the air for a long time), said Julie Lyou, MD, MPH, a pulmonologist with St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton, California."

[health.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stay away from smoke and smoky environments. I dislike the smells of vaping too. I’m glad it’s being regulated like smoking more and more.

Galicia, one of the states that comprise Spain, has just banned smoking in the streets and on terraces overlooking streets, etc. It is only permitted in your own home, or outside if there is nobody within 30 feet. The new law came into effect today.

good read,yes something to
definitely think about and i do not see any reason why it can not be ,good points ,I hate second hand smoke and avoid smokers ,smell stale stink ,goes right thru your clothes tuck

I hadn’t thought about that but it makes sense

smokers are social pariahs in aussie. Smokers >10 mtrs. Covid 3mtrs. I think I'm safe.

I stay away from second hand smoke regardless

@Buddha

Me, too. Holding my breath, I run past smokers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.