Agnostic.com

7 1

How many regular church goers do you reckon are closet agnostics?

I think there's a bunch of them. I can see a variety of reasons why one would lie, and religion is a bunch of silly notions.

JLFowler 6 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think most church goers have doubts.

Humans evolved as social animals that gather in groups and communities to have better chances of survival. The instinct to "belong" is hard wired into us. Many people participate in religion because ti gives them a sense of belonging and they feel they are part of a community. In my mind those are the only real needs that religion provides, but it does so at a great cost.

Anyway, many people are very fearful of losign their place in their "community" and of not hvign a group to belong to. So, even if they have major doubts, they still go through the motions in order to show they belong.

The above is also why those who are most vacal about theri beliefs, are also the most likely to have the gretest doubts, or are hiding something about themselves that their religious group would not approve of. They are loud and vocal so people will not doubt their right to belong.

For a majority of churchgoers, trying to get a definite answer out of them is a little bit like trying to hit Muhammad Ali when he was at his peak in the mid 60's. They will duck and dodge every attempt to get a straight answer out of them. If you ask them "Do you think the Universe was created in 6 days?", they will say "I'm really more focused on the New Testament" If you ask them "Do you think a being that created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars made a teenage Jewish girl pregnant", they will say "I'm really more focused on Jesus's message" You can then point out that "Jesus's message is just a hodgepodge of other similar messages that were around before him", and they will fall back to "My faith is important to me" At that point they will usually try to cut off the conversation, because they don't like where it is going.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a good amount. I know that I was a closet agnostic for the majority of my life, after I was old enough to understand what religion was.

In my experience nearly all are playing along with the religious commitment stuff to a large extent. Church is a good place to meet others, and a drug free environment for their children, that's about it.

I base this on belonging to a church for 5 years and despite all the pretense that the Bible is the guide to life and best book ever etc, I found that pretty well nobody read it more than half as much as the newspaper, and that was with organised Bible Studies, and were badly lacking in Bible knowledge.

I've been in a number of churches and in every one found clear evidence the people including a fair few ministers, don't practice what they preach.

I believe you are absolutely right and probably the and the biggest reason is that people are sheep and Afraid to be different or to be honest about their feelings

Tovie Level 2 Nov 25, 2017

I certainly was for a while until I sorted myself out.

I believe there are at least a third Agnostic. With only a few percent nontheists. As with any ‘alternative lifestyle’, many people have to live in the closet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.