Agnostic.com

4 0

White privilege?

Does white privilege exist in America, or other countries, too? Of course, all people aren't born equal due to brain quality, family wealth, etc.. Does everyone born in America (or any other country for that matter) have the same opportunity to become successful? The USA elected a black president. Should the USA reparations to slave descendants?

Grecio 7 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had times when I was too stressed with work, but I still had to tell myself to work hard because I have a family. slope game is a website I was recommended by my friends to relieve stress after a long stressful day.

I thought it also referred to the financial benefits that many, but by no means all, whites have due to a long legacy of discrimination against non-whites e.g. red-lining in communities that prevented blacks from purchasing real estate often subsidized by government money or cheap loans. Those have created a wealth disparity between individuals and communities that continue through multiple generations.

You are probably correct. However, we elected a black president and Oprah is one of the most wealthy black women in the world. Oprah was abused as a child and had a terrible home life and look at what she did.

@Grecio that sounds awfully like cherry picking. You need to look at aggregate statistics because you'll find the ratio of Oprahs to not Oprahs for non-white American's is much lower than for white Americans. And we don't even have to look at the extremes of millionaires and billionaires. Just look at percentiles for income and wealth for white vs not-white, and look at stats on socioeconomic status and mobility - they paint a pretty poor picture.

[equitablegrowth.org]

What barjoe said.

White privilege may be a misnomer and confuses people. It means that blacks are instantly discriminated against because of the way they look. Being white that doesn't happen, in that aspect they are privileged. So if a black person walks into a store and they're followed around like they're going to steal, the white person is free to shop without being hawked. This can be worse when dealing trying to get jobs, functioning in school and worst of all dealing with police. It doesn't mean all white people were born to privilege, indeed some black people were. "White privilege" as it's referred today to is what I described.

@Bierbasstard I feel the same way about the term Defund. It doesn't mean abolish the police, it means allocate funds for other law enforcement services. Black Lives Matter doesn't mean only black lives matter. Taking offense to "all lives matter" doesn't mean all human life isn't precious. This is confusing to unaware people and that doesn't necessarily make them brutal fucking racists.

@Bierbasstard I just wish they explained that it's part of justice reform.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.