Agnostic.com

5 2

What would you say

Hey Y'all, I'm kinda New and have been liking How people have been on this app. As an Agnostic Atheist, I've seen Many People have this Misconception about Atheism. Saying that it is "A Belief that there are no gods". I don't like that assertion. It's not a good Representation of myself Nor Other Atheists that I've talked to(It also could be a Fallacy, Whether Strawman or Faulty Generalization... Check me if I'm Wrong) But I do recognize that Some Atheists are Strong and that they do Assert the Proposition. I just don't Believe, I don't even claim to know. So, I just wanted to ask, Do you believe that there are No gods? Or do you Lack a Belief?

• 5 votes
  • 2 votes
Bigtank9401 5 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Either could be correct, pretty much the same thing, but I chose the second choice. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/s.

Some atheists, like me, believe there are no god/s, but we don't assert there are none. In my mind, deities can only exist through belief, and I do not believe. Therefore I'm atheist.

I have never been presented with sufficient evidence for the existence of a god or god to feel justified in accepting even the possibility of their existence.
Gods rank in the same level of likelihood, for me as pixies, goblins and pussy trolls.

Are you saying that all trolls are pussies, or are you describing a specific type of troll? The devil's in the details...

If the latter, and if the reference is anatomical rather than metaphorical, I SO wish that those existed!!!! ๐Ÿ‘น

@AmyTheBruce So you have never seen Clerks two then

LOL! No, I've never seen that.

I'm not sure how to answer, because I am 99% sure that there are no gods. Still, technically, I am not entirely certain...

Maybe gods exist, but just haven't bothered to stop by this solar system? Maybe gods exist, but aren't nearly as powerful as we think? Maybe gods are powerful, but very tiny, and do all their work at a microscopic level?

Certainly the gods that people worship are imaginary. Of that I am certain. But I am not certain of those other possibilities.

Naw, You're Fine. I mean, If we are being Honest here I think that we would come to that conclusion. Nothing is Certain so...

I must have missed the memo when you received the solo designation to determine what words mean.

I Determine what Words mean to me. Anybody outside of me has their own interpretation of what Words mean... and they are Free to do so... But I've seen Good Discussions Run into Problems because of how people Interpret what words mean.

@Bigtank9401 Nope, people do not get to make up their own definitions for words, not even you.

[merriam-webster.com]

@LovinLarge If That's the Case, Let's agree on the Lack of Belief. My main Premise.

@Bigtank9401 Stop believing the fairy tales your parents indoctrinated you into because you were reliant upon them. There is zero evidence of any gods and nothing else in nature to suggest that anything like a god is even possible.

Here is a definition of atheism by an atheist who was the Head of the Philosophy Dept. at the University of Calgary when I took a class from him there in the 80's. Very accomplished fellow in his 50's at the time, who then went back east to teach at a French University in order to become bilingual.

[britannica.com]

@LovinLarge Have you read my OP? I said, I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I don't Believe any of it๐Ÿคจ

@Bigtank9401 I wish I hadn't bothered reading it. I won't with any of your subsequent posts.

I contend that anything supernatural is an impossibility. People who believe any of that stuff are in a fantasyland. They're living on a comet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.