Agnostic.com

5 6

As someone who identifies herself as an Independent now, I'm still confused about atheists/agnostics who support Donald Trump. I'm taking all emotion out of this and basing my thoughts off of logic, reasoning, confusion, religion, and hypocrisy.

I suppose I'm also confused about atheists/agnostics who strictly identify themselves as Republicans/conservatives. I do have some Libertarian views and A FEW conservative ones as well. I think it's nearly impossible to agree with and support every single thing a party stands for unless you're an extremist; however, I have a lot of liberal views and am overall liberal leaning. I just don't like Biden himself and believe there could have been way better candidates to represent his party.

This is just one thing I'm confused about. From what I know, many conservatives are Christians. This is because many conservative beliefs fall under Christian beliefs. How can you be an atheist/agnostic but strictly be a "conservative" for the reason mentioned above? This is one of the many reasons why many atheists/agnostics are liberal leaning. I'm also not surprised that many people on this site are liberal leaning for that reason as well. "Democrats are more likely to push for a more defined separation of Church and State than Republicans are. Democratic views on religion stand strictly against the profiling of any individual for their religious beliefs."

Moving onto Donald Trump. I've heard a few atheists say that Donald Trump is our first atheist President. Then why is he a Republican and why did he make a "National Day of Prayer" awhile back? How many Republican Presidents in America have been non-Christian? Many politicians who Trump has hired are very religious, especially Mike Pence. So he either IS an atheist which would make him a fake and phony president catering to the Republicans who are majority religious....or the atheists who believe Trump is also an atheist want to believe that so bad they end up dismissing all logic and facts.

I've also seen some people in the conservative atheist group on here and some conservatives in general around America cut down Biden for being creepy towards women and having a sexual assault allegation against him. I agree. He is very creepy and off-putting; however, don't they realize that Trump also has sexual assault allegations against him and would go into the women's dressing rooms unannounced during the beauty pageants he ran/owned, just to creep and ogle them? But it's okay because he's Trump right? That's pure hypocrisy! They also cut down Biden for having dementia, yet Trump posts weird tweets like "Covfefe" and makes all these "gafs" such as suggesting during a White House briefing that injecting disinfectants could treat COVID-19...which leads me to believe that Trump also has some cognitive issues going on. I'm not sticking up for Biden. I'm simply pointing out all the hypocrisy I've seen Trump supporters make.

What are your thoughts? Please feel free to share your thoughts, as I've grown very frustrated, annoyed, and irritated lately by these atheist/agnostic Trump supporters who say/believe the things I previously mentioned and I'm gradually letting all this bother and upset me too much.

VeronicaAnn 7 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I often wondered the same thing about Right Wing, or Trumplican gays. If either has their way, they would take back all the gains made by LBGT in the past ten years. They have already lost rights in the military, not being discriminated against for adoptions, being served by religious based stores or even healthcare facilities. Why would you support those who are most likely to set back freedoms gained by a decade of pain and hard work?

Trumplican lbgt people=slugs for salt! Chickens for kfc! Cows for ronald macdonald!

Mere disbelief in God does not give one moral superiority.

I’ve had the same question for months now to any of our so-called Agnostic/ Atheists, the only attempt one made to answer was something like, there’s no correlation between religion & politics. The Hell there ain't!

So, this pack of suicidal idiots are willing to toss our rights by re-electing trump - packing our Supreme Court (for most of our lifetimes) with the likes of brett kavanaugh’s? Handing our hard-earned rights to religious zealots - to do away with public education -- and totally destroy any vestige of State / church separation…?

‘We’re not for trump,’ ‘we just don’t like Biden,’ they’ll whine.. So they advocate we toss our vote to some ‘sixth party nobody’ ..in order ‘to teach the Democrats a lesson’..? The same ‘lesson’ the nation - and world has learned from their previous mistake 4 years ago?!

Winner-take-all creates a two-party system, something our Founders figured out very soon … as they’d avoided the Parliamentary System of their colonial power.. I wish we were Parliamentary, too … but don’t envision that happening in several lifetimes..

So the fools attacking Biden either wanted Bernie, or 4 more of trump. Apparently, their care and concern for Atheism / Agnosticism takes a backseat to a more pressing personal agenda. Not I; cut my teeth on Madalyn O’Hair’s description of our courts - and the importance of politics. My Atheism comes before all else.

Biden’s obviously the right choice of the many having run (I wish others would have stepped up, but Bernie scared them away). Bernie would have had all good Democrat’s votes in the General Election, but far fewer from the middle or the near-wrong. As is, Biden’s a safe choice for the middle, and those coming to their senses on the right..

It’s OK to be confused, and healthy to act. Keep questioning, and learning. Eventually the pieces begin to fall into place… The state our nation is in is because too few cared, now they do … but what a price ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 17, 2020

Ever seen the movie "As Good as it Gets"? I'll paraphrase a line from it.

Think of a Republican, then take away reason, faith, and accountability. Of course, reason and accountability are redundant, but it sounds closer to the movie line. That's basically it: Republicans without faith.

@VeronikaAnnJ Many still have that particular mindset. Asserting they're using facts, even when they aren't. Thinking they know things when they don't. Like trickle-down economics. They don't need faith to buy into that, and many do. Many are.... susceptible to the idea of an authoritarian. up to a point. I'm using stereotypical characteristics of course, but I am talking about a generalized group of people. The point is they're still Republican or right wing, but they don't have faith in a deity.

It's because they're fucking stupid. Whenever you have to ask why Trump supporters do what they do, just remember those wise, sage words.

Because they're fucking stupid.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.