Agnostic.com

7 8

Do people actually vote for the candidate based on values, issues, and leadership? When I look at who wins at the local level, it can be surmised that most voters decide either by party or last name (that small town good-old boy system at work). We may not agree on politics, but I can at least respect your choice if you vote a certain way because of issues that are important to you. It just further validates my perception that people don't want to think, and it's easy to see how societies vote themselves into crappy leaders. It's so frustrating to watch the local primaries. IMO.

Dorkyndaft 6 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That small town network probably actually Knows their candidate, or at least what he/she/they really stand for! You may not like what the voters want /like, but IMO actually knowing a candidate is Priceless.

I hear what you are saying, but I am positive that most of these citizens don't know the candidates. I wish I could say that the justification. Small town politics are ridiculous. lol

We have devolved, politically.

Now you know what people think who don't think

Indeed.

Because everybody’s triggers are different, no one can appeal to much more that a small majority regardless of what they stand for. I was involved with my Union leadership, a small company of about 70 members. It was difficult getting a consensus on our priorities and contracts even with all of us working for the same company! If you watch most elections, at least federal and the Local ones in my area, the winner seldom has more than a 10% majority, rarely that much. And with our two party system, more often than not, everyone is just settling for the candidate least offensive, certainly not one that represents all of your needs or even most.
Parliamentary systems with multiple Parties based on narrower platforms make it perhaps easier to vote for one you can actually feel more representative of your needs. But even they, once elected, have to form unions with other Parties that may not be to your liking, just to get anything done. Which is why governments around the world tend to swing wildly from left to right, sometimes peacefully, sometimes not. The verdict for which way our country changes will come this November, but regardless it will leave about half the people feeling disenfranchised.

its all about education.....since the Reagan era, school systems have scrapped civics education(probably by design)..what we are left with is a segment of our population that is completely ignorant of how governments should function and what , as citizens, our responsibilities are to our society.....unfortunately, we are paying the price for this currently with disastrous results.....RESEARCH...then vote accordingly

Been saying this for decades! I believe my generation got the last good education on how government works, why separation of church & state is a Really good idea, how to effect change, and the odea that compromise is Key.

Most people vote on emotion. Very few vote on the facts.

It appears to be the weakest link in ‘democracy.’ If in a majority backward region, that backward majority rules.. Claiming a candidate’s values match their own is often code, or simply permission to further their social desire to oppress or discriminate.

That’s why the ‘battlegrounds’ are at the edges, or ‘swing districts.’ Those I know deep into politics don’t mess around in their own backyard - but go to work in and for such ‘swing districts.’ Enlightenment may never come to my neck of the woods…

Varn Level 8 Aug 19, 2020

@Bobby9 At least in a democracy, if ‘a jerk’ makes life worse for those having voted for them, the people will have another chance to get it right. No longer in russia or china...

With that, I’ve been living with a several term Republican Congressman who consistently votes to fleece his flock … yet the yard signs are popping up ..and the flock will surely follow. It’s why we’re so dependent on the rest of the nation to ‘do it for us’ 😕

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.