Agnostic.com

4 1

I came across the expression below and I was quite taken by it:

We have become a culture of conformity. Even while we celebrate individualism, we have this tendency to create a situation where individualism results in everybody trying to be an individual in the same way.

It's true, isn't it? We advocate the principle of being independent and self-reliant, yet we, consciously or subconsciously, all behave in accordance with socially accepted conventions. Are we kidding ourselves? Any thought?

Jetty 7 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is comfort in being part of a group and to conforming to what is regarded as “the norm”...isn’t that why organised religion is so successful. The majority of people may say that they are individuals and want less control by the state over their lives, but on the other hand they willingly follow other people in what currently is trending or fashionable...not individuals at all, but merely followers. The same goes in their capacity for critical thought, most people never put in the effort to search and compare data from reliable sources prior to formulating a belief, preferring to adopt whatever is the popular or fashionable view currently being peddled in the popular mass media or inline.

So yes, I agree that the majority out there are fooling themselves if they think they are showing any signs of individuality...however, there are still a few of us around who do think outside the box. I think someone on one of the replies below mentioned by getting a tattoo people think they’re showing a sign of individuality, and agree that even that has now become more like a “must have” and a sign of conformity...actually deciding not to get a tattoo is Increasingly becoming an act of rebellion and individuality!

No, some of us are real assholes.

sounds like every teenager. They have to rebel against authority but they all rebel in the same way, together. 😄

Yes. People conform to societal norms. They show their individually by getting a tattoo, like everybody else does to show their individuality. They want to be unique, by showing they're acceptable to everybody else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.