Agnostic.com

1 0

Will (should) Google put Universities out of business ? why/not ?

Google Has a Plan to Disrupt the College Degree

Google's new certificate program takes only six months to complete, and will be a fraction of the cost of college.

[inc.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wholeheartedly support putting traditional university models out of business completely and totally. Keep the academic research on but they have failed miserably in educating students who could relate the expensive and long degree education to real life. Here is why:

1. High Student Debt - Students get tons of academic debt
  2. No Job - Degrees cannot assure a job
  3. Is it worth it? - No college degree that creates a debt and not give a source of living is worth pursuing it
  4. Unrelatable to Life - Graduates cannot relate classroom education to life or even the job and career
  5. Glorified and Overrated - The classroom education if glorified and over-rated
  6. Hundreds of years Old Classroom Model - The education institutions whether high schools or colleges or universities have not changed their teaching model of a teacher standing in front of 40 ot 50 students sitting and listing to a mouth talking for an hour all day long.
  7. School Boring, Uninspiring - It has become boring. The inclination to avoid school, dropping out of school if much higher than the genuine interest to enjoy and staying in
  8. We are brainwashed to Accept As It Is - We are brainwashed to believe that college education is necessary but the times of vocational education, skills and expertise have arrived.
  9. Degree Not So Important to Career - You generally need to talk about your college degree only at the first entry level job. In most corporate jobs, your education will never come up again. Your next jobs will solely come based on your previous experience, achievements and skill level.
  10. Diminishing Degree Value College degrees have a diminishing value. It goes lower and more irrelevant every year
  11. Just Job Security for Professors? - College professors have 'tenured' careers. That means they have job stability but they are churning out students after charging high fees and have not demonstrated the ability to show the degrees are worth more than the name and paper in hand. Student sent to out to hang and dry on own.
  12. The Myth Must be Busted - The stronghold of universities, the myth of value of college degrees must be busted
  13. Degree Glorification is Over - The economy is changing. We have entered into skills based economy and the traditional government and traditional payrolls are going to break soon. There is a big disruption around the corner just like it happened to taxi unions with Uber, happened to Mom/Pop printing presses with gang printing, happened to hotels and airline business travel with online conferencing, happened dictionaries, finder fees, translators with internet searches and so on.... College degree education is on the chopping block next

I have seen the futility of expensive college degrees in my life and in all of my family members. I postponed life in order to complete 3 master degrees, 2 in business, one in law, cpa, licensing certificates in software coding, ERP configuration, gemology, also have family members with double ph.d.s but they always struggled with the mortgages. Growing up I could never understand it.

I would be fully embracing drastic changes in today's education. It is time to break the model. Continue fine and quality academic and scientific research in institutions? Albeit, fund them, give them grants, hire the best but "stop" fooling young generations that taking degrees in 4 years with tons of debt and no possibility of jobs -- is a failed model, is almost criminal and must change.

. . . mostly agree with all except . . .

Tenure is a blunt not-perfect mechanism, but . . .
IIUC, the purpose/reason for it (especially in post K-12) is that new/unpopular ideas were/can-be/will-be stifled/removed -- IMO, a really bad outcome.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.