Agnostic.com

14 7

21 Things Only Women With Thick Hair Understand

Quit complaining about thin hair. You don't realize how easy you have it.

My thick, heavy hair is like the pelt of an Arctic animal that needs the insulation. Neck sweat.

Forget an updo: it gives me a painful headache. Walking downstairs, my heavy hair swings forward and blocks my vision. Can't stand the weight. "Get it out of my face!" I think daily.

Oh, how I longed for an elegant French twist for my daughter's wedding! The hairstylist used hundreds of bobby pins and hair spray. My heavy hair slumped out of the French twist in 1-1/2 hours. It started slumping as I drove to the wedding.

Hairstylists charge $20 extra for thick hair. I bring snacks to keep her energy up.

Showering is a scramble to keep hair from clogging the drain. It takes forever to get my hair completely wet. I go through tons of shampoo and conditioner. Then it takes forever to dry.

Holding a hair dryer, my arms get tired. I get overheated and give up halfway through.

But if I leave my hair wet, it stays damp all day. What's this "air drying" people keep talking about? In the winter, damp hair means I'm deeply chilled.

Barrettes bend and break. Covered elastic bands stretch out. Small hair combs flip out and hit the wall.

My daughter Claire inherited my thick hair. Poor kid.

Since Claire loves lemon, I made her a lemon pound cake for her birthday. While the cake was hot, I poked it all over, and slowly poured over a fresh lemon glaze.

21 Thick Hair Problems

[goodhousekeeping.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I understand you so well! I have to cut the lower parts just to get rid of the headaches. Long hair is my dream but probably it will never come true. Yes, the hair looks great but so much effort involved into making it look this way. When I go out I use tons of hair pomade for women to style it. I'm not even talking about how much shampoo I use. I can finish one bottle in one week! There are a lot of other drawbacks but I still love my hair and would not replace it.

For heaven's sake! For the past three months, words have disappeared from my posts. Agnostic admin says it's a software glitch.

This morning, these words were deleted: "daughter," "charge" and "is."

Still,your hair is beautiful

@WayneDalton

Thank you (as I lift the mane off my sweaty neck).

I've always had thick hair; and even though it isn't as thick as when I was younger, in the warmer weather it drives me nuts if I have it down. My younger daughter's hair turned out even thicker than mine. But, I'll take thick hair over big boobs anytime. I wish I were a cup size smaller. And, the older I get, the more I wish that were so.

A unique discomfort you have,Thick beautiful hair,understand how it is a pain in the ass for you but you look great in that style,have you ever considered shorter ,Find one of those sites where you can put a pic of your self and it can show you how all the different hairstyles look on you , being you are a smaller lady frame wise your present hair style fills you out more ,but i have lots of women as they mature go for the much shorter stylish ones and they look fantastic plus next to no work to look after almost like most guys ,, Lot of women whose hair has really thinned out would love yours ,No matter what you do, you will still be very beautiful

@RoyMillar

Thank you! What a nice thing to say.

This hair gets thinned at every hair appointment. It grows fast.

My white hairs are frizzy and obstreperous. "When did you start dying your hair?" a rude man asked. "it used to be red." The answer is age 40.

My hair is naturally wavy. The weight of it pulls down the waves. With short hair, I get wings. Looks ridiculous.

Photos:

1. Age 26. Backpacking in the Olympic Mountains. Stretching before shouldering my heavy pack.

2. Short hair, age 54.

@literatehiker i have fine oily hair ,grey ,leave it a day or two and looks brown if not washed ,You look great in short hair ,a little touch up now and again will keep the wings at bay,I get them all the time to,one of these days going to have to learn to fly and let them grow lol,, I think once you went back to short hair for a while,you would really enjoy it ,but you know whats best for you ,Rest of us will love any decision you make ,sometimes we are own worst enemy when it comes to our own judgement on our bodys ,as long as you love it that is what counts, hugs

@RoyMillar

After I had Claire, my hair got shorter and shorter. She kept grabbing my hair and earrings. She stretched out every neckline.

In 1994, I had wedge cut popularized by figure skater Dorothy Hamill. Claire was four.

@RoyMillar

Correction: "dyeing" hair, not "dying." Ha.

@LiterateHiker ,no need to apologize, especially with the number of grammar errors and spelling mistakes i make and are overlooked lol

"I bring snacks to keep her energy up." Too funny. I can relate as I used to lament over my once long, thick and curly hair. But over the years, it has thinned out and now I wear a short pixie. Oh, what a relief!

@TMA2NC

You look gorgeous!

@LiterateHiker That's very kind. Thank you!

I don’t complain about mine being thin in two different ways. I admire those who are willing to deal with thick and long hair. You wear it well and you look great. From my relatively uninformed viewpoint I couldn’t tell from your expressions how difficult it is to manage.

Would having it cut short and thinned help? My hair is thick but nothing like yours, and I keep it quite short. Easy peazy.

@Mitch0102

Hairstylists thin my hair and bangs each time they cut it. It grows fast.

My hair is naturally wavy. The weight of it pulls down the waves.

With short hair, I get wings. Looks ridiculous.

Photo: 2007.

I used to complain about my thick hair. Every hairdresser would comment on it...
Then, it started falling out. 🤷♂️ Now I embrace the baldness lol

Mvtt Level 7 Aug 22, 2020

Ok, I'm a science geek and am curious if you would be willing to do a simple hair thickness measurement. Others on here are welcome to join in and contribute. It only takes a few minutes.

If you have or would be willing to get a vernier calipers,
[amazon.com].

It's only $10. Use it to measure the diameter of a single hair. Do this for 10 different hair strands off your head; obtain the average and sample standard deviation of the 10 values. If very curly gently straighten until flat then measure etc.

But before you measure, ask each person if they feel their hair is thick and heavy and or dense. Then measure.

Here is my hair data:
Pre-meas: I feel my hair is very thick and heavy and feels very dense.
Meas: Hair diameter is 23 +/- 7 microns (1 micron is 0.001 mm) so 0.023mm.
Post-meas: now I think my hair is thin but because its so dense it likely feels thick and heavy.

@MakeItGood

My hair is strong. Cut ends painfully poke my neck when I lie down. At night, I spread out my hair on the pillow.

It's also dense. More hair strands per square inch.

It's deliciously self-soothing to run my fingers through my hair.

To us baldies you sound a bit like rich people arguing over the quality of your food. 😀

I sympathise.

My own hair, when I allowed it to grow to its fullest, matched that of Charles II of England, and it was relatively easy to look after.

@anglophone

Here's a picture of Charles II. Did it look like this?

@LiterateHiker No, mine was shorter and matched this one:

I've never considered myself lucky to have thin fine hair, longing for thicker hair, but I'll take it as a blessing after reading your post. My hair is super long, so I keep it up a lot of the day, and lucky for me it's light so is comfortable.

I tried my thin hair long and couldn’t keep its ends out of my mouth. “Enough,” I said and had it almost buzz cut.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.