Agnostic.com

8 5

I'm not a very fashionable sort, but i hope eating liver never becomes trendy.

hankster 9 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to love it, but the last time I had it it was so over cooked I couldn't chew it, and I have had to remove high iron foods from my diet because of a genetic condition.

it scares me. take care.

Can stand it, great for building blood back up

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 23, 2020

Served with fava beans?

nope. any food wafted by liver fume is out of bounds.

@hankster Hannibal lector likes it lol

I adore fried chicken livers! Very hard to find & a real PIA to make oneself, so even more desirable!

Me too! There used to be a great old place in Dallas that made them. I remember craving them once, not thinking that my annual physical was the next day. My cholesterol was high that day for the only time in my life (but worth it). I wish that place was still there.

@Lauren yes, cholesterol readings are very dependent on what one has eaten in the last day or two.
As far as i know, there is no place in the Northeast that does chicken lives, I learned to love them when I lived in Alabama.

@AnneWimsey I had no idea they were regional. And now I've got a hankering, so I've got to track them down.

It seems most 'trendy' foods these days come from the vegetarian/vegan lot, so I imagine you are safe keeping the hope alive on this one.

Offal in general, I don’t like the texture. I prefer tofu, which is also spongy 🙂 my next mission is to learn to cook with it:
[thespruceeats.com]

It's not good for me to eat too much soy. I do like it tempeh too but it's not good for my prostate health.

Treat tofu similarly to eggplant..

@barjoe oh I didn’t know that. Thanks.

@Cutiebeauty I’m afraid that’s something else I don’t cook, having had bad food poisoning from it once when out.

@girlwithsmiles if I got food poisoning from something I had at a restaurant, I'd eliminate the restaurant from my life, not the dish I ate there🙂

@Cutiebeauty i had never cooked it and that just put me off trying. Babagonosh is fab though!
My parents have a very bland palate, i was brought up on steak and kidney pie, liver and bacon stew and spaghetti bolognese and fish and chips. Going to Uni near a city with much more variety was great 😊

@girlwithsmiles

Baba ganoush is just basically eggplant blended up with lemon juice, tahini and sea salt. Typically you have to char the eggplant on a grill or over the flame of a gas stove. From Google

I'm actually making eggplant right now with green peppers, onions, garlic, chopped corn, and badia Cajun seasoning.. So far, it tastes lovely🙂

@Cutiebeauty sounds delish! Perhaps after tofu 🙂 Am concentrating on high protein at the mo. But baba ganoush does sound easier than i imagined though, thanks.

@girlwithsmiles you're welcome.. 🙂 When you experiment with tofu, please post...

Ah, pate on crackers, with a little cream cheese and a glass of dark stout.

Sounds good. I've never had stout that wasn't dark. JK

@barjoe OK smart ass, I was being poetic. LOL

@Fernapple jk

It's very good for you. If you trim off all the rind (beef liver) and soak it in vinegar and water (not milk) for several hours in fridge. Cut it up into smaller pieces. Saute it with bacon or in butter. I can eat that. Don't overcook or it gets all grainy and dry, medium rare. My mom used to love it, I made it for her when I was her caregiver. Frankly I don't love it, but anything is good if it's made right.

"...made right." You mean, with bacon? 😉

@Amzungu Cook the bacon and finish the liver in the bacon fat with the bacon. Sautee it slowly in butter is delicious as well. Made right means don't overcook it. That makes it all grainy and dry. Just get it hot, barely.

@barjoe No, when it comes to liver, I am quite sure the made right part is wholly about the bacon. In reality, I never minded the liver, it was the ton of onions my mother cooked with it that I couldn't handle (it's a texture not flavor thing for me). I like your way better. Everything is better with bacon.

@Amzungu So bacon is just good so anything with bacon will be better. The key is liver has no fat content, so you have to sautee it in fat. Bacon fat, butter, beef tallow. Milk feed calves liver is very expensive and not produced humanely, but yearling liver sauteed in duck fat is ridiculously good. I used to be a sous chef when I was younger and we had Foie de Veau on the menu and that's how they made it. I can cook I'm a bachelor so I'm just lazy.

@barjoe I spent years working at a fine dining restaurant and it went a long way toward expanding my palate. We switched menus with the seasons, and with every switch, the owner would have the chef prepare all the dishes for the staff to sample. Can't really properly explain tastes to patrons when you haven't tried it yourself. I found I liked a lot I hadn't previously been exposed to or exposed to in ways that weren't prepared well.

@Amzungu @Cutiebeauty Your mom made it with onions, you can't cook them together. Caramelize the onions on the side, if you cook them together the liver will get dry by the time the onions cook. You can add them at the end and it'll be good. I got a job as a bartender and I made more in one night than a week behind the line. A server in fine dining is a wonderful gig.

@barjoe You are certainly right about that. I worked Sat nights only for ten years while I stayed home with my young sons, more for the social outlet than anything else (restaurant work can be a ton of fun) but it was unusual for me to not go home with at least a couple hundred bucks in my pocket at the end of the night.

@Amzungu FOH makes a lot more than BOH.

@barjoe Yes, sir. But then again, FOH has to actually deal with the public a lot more. Aside from the one fine dining restaurant I worked at, I always preferred BOH due to that exact reason.

@Amzungu It wasn't appreciated as much back then. Now BOH are all immigrants.

@barjoe Not where I worked. It was locally owned and all the staff were locally grown.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.