Agnostic.com

7 8

Full stop is 'intimidating' to young people because they interpret it as sign of anger, linguists say
[dailymail.co.uk]

Are you f'ing kidding me?
This is real, this is actually real.
This is real, this is actually real.

I showed this to my son who holds a masters degree in English, expecting his laughter and outrage instead of which I got mocked and a warning that, "purists" like me have had their day and that we will simply have to accept the language "as is" or face ridicule and censure for not knowing how to communicate with people.

Jesus Fucking Christ!
The sheer fucking arrogance of a generation that believe the whole of linguistics should change to accommodate their arrogance and laziness is beyond my comprehension.

WHO THE FUCK educated these people? What happened to actually teaching correct English?

I am heartbroken the the very thing I have given my life to, the English Language, its use and artistry, is being shit upon by these self important little shits!

LenHazell53 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Get off my lawn!
😆

skado Level 9 Aug 24, 2020

How exactly can a small dot be considered intimidating? I understand that we have to move with the times and that language and customs in speech do change over time, however we’ve been using the full stop to end sentences since the 3rd century BC., so we can say this linguistic custom is pretty well set in tablets of stone.

I don’t think it probably matters in texting, it’s already sometimes almost unintelligible to me when I receive from some young and not so young friends, messages comprising unknown acronyms and abbreviations. No punctuation within the message just adds to the difficulty In deciphering it, but no full stop at the end doesn’t alter in any way the meaning, so in that respect it’s superfluous.

In emails and snail mail I think we need to keep the punctuation, complete with full stops, and also use correct spelling not abbreviated text language and a smattering of acronyms, which are now so numerous and seem to be newly invented on a daily basis, that one needs to have an online glossary of new terms to hand In order to understand their meaning.

language is undoubtedly going to change cuz of texting and electronic communications.if some don't keep up they just get left behind. it's really that simple.

That being the case I would rather retain my dignity than stoop to using "cuz" or not capitalising the first letter of my sentences and painting myself as ignorant buffoon.

@LenHazell53 kinda fun. so, I'm gonna stick with it.

@LenHazell53 I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but proper grammar would dictate the inclusion of an "an" preceding the very dignified use of "ignorant baboon". I'm just trying to help you retain a little bit of the dignity you carry for yourself.

Responding as someone with an English degree who works as a copy editor.

Firstly, this entire article is talking about texting. It doesn’t mention anywhere that people will change the way they write prose in other circumstances (I would take that to mean work reports, school essays, and such). So I wouldn’t say the entire English language is being heave-hoed. We’re talking about electronic communications, and specifically texting.

Secondly, it’s absolutely true that language does evolve, just as does every aspect of our culture. Recall how, back in the 17th/18th centuries, people would capitalize random common nouns?

There are things the older generation will never like or understand or accept. They can be outraged while the younger folks just shrug it off and carry on with their lives. Why increase your blood pressure and get your blood boiling over such a trivial thing — especially when the world is falling apart around us?

I love the English language and hate when people butcher it — especially when speaking. But texting? Nah. I’m fine with adapting.

In the comments, you may see that this is not just about texting, it is expanding out into everyday life, that HR departments are having to contact management to tell them correct English in official memos is upsetting and even intimidating to younger staff, because they EXPECT the same use of punctuation as in texts.
Such pandering to ignorance is NOT evolution of the language it is a deliberate degradation of standards.

The times are changing as is language and the way we communicate, especially online...

Times maybe changing but no previous generation would have been so arrogant as to demand to be allowed to redefine the basic rules of grammar and punctuation, simple because they could not be arsed to learn it's proper useage.

@LenHazell53, @altschmerz sure, formal correspondence requires formal English \ language but texting and social media is something different entirely..

@Cutiebeauty You think so?
I see no difference in writing a post and writing a letter, for the most part I take equal care over both.
However since I have suffered from dyslexia all of my life, I do perhaps value the written word more than most, I feel careful, comprehensible writing is a duty and consideration I owe to my correspondent (s)

@LenHazell53 sure I think there's a difference.. For one thing, many acronyms are common.. They save time..
Ttyl .. Talk to you later
Omg.. Oh my god
IMO.. In my opinion

Etc, etc.
See, that's another one including et. al.

Right?
You see my point?

Isn't "period" synonymous to "full stop?" I think with both of these terms, it depends upon context as to its tone. Neither is inherently angry.

"period" is the American term for the "full stop"

@LenHazell53 I don't know about that. We use both.

@bingst I did not know "full stop" was a common expression the USA, good to know thanks.

@LenHazell53 Either that or I've seen too many shows based in Britain so that it's clouded my mind. 😛

what about the arrogance of the generation that can't deal with change. why should the evolution of language stop right now?

This is not the evolution of language, this is the destruction and degradation of the language.
If you cannot tell the difference we have nothing to discuss.

@LenHazell53 Your opinion. My linguist relative says very much evolution. As a 70s kid who had “proper” English beaten into me (back when teachers, as well as parents struck kids), I had many lively discussions with him on the topic. I wonder if the dropping of a period is only done in certain kinds of writing. I absolutely depend on them in large blocks of text, like paragraphs and essays.

@LenHazell53 language don't get destroyed. just gets bent to the new Road.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.