Agnostic.com

9 1

Is monogamy a biblical idea?

ildar717 4 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ummm, starting from the beginning, Eve must have slept with her sons, or where did we all become from? Abraham was told to get another wife because Sarah was barren. Lot had children by both his daughters after his wife got turned into a pillar of salt. Lauded Kings, especially Solomon & David, had platoons of wives & concubines, in the days when "prophets" showed up up to chastise them about "ungodly" conduct....none showed up about that.

Yes and no. Monogamy is found in the Bible, and can be supported by some verses. Polygamy is also found in the Bible, and can also be supported thus!y.

And, both monogamy and polygamy predate the Bible.

I assume not, since it exists in other species.

skado Level 9 Aug 24, 2020

I think probably some mother-in-law came up with it.

here are some other opinions.

[scienceillustrated.com.au]

[cnn.com]

[frontiersin.org]

interesting links

As long as there were tribal groups, and plentiful food, the females were happy to accept dominant males. But, when life became more precarious, then mutually supportive pairs were a better survival option.

I am pre-disposed to non-monogamy.

Who cares? I may not be interested in poly or open relationships, but as long it involves consenting adults and is not an institution of oppression, I don't give a rat's ass what arrangements people get involved in.

How many wives did King Solomon have?
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

How about King David?
[learnreligions.com]

Still need to ask your question?

@ildar717 if the King could have a bunch of wives & "official girlfriends" there cannot be much against it in the "word of gawd" or prophets would, as they did frequently on other topics, show up to denounce him, and they did not! Many many kings indulged themselves, as did Abraham & etc. Lot married((or at least hadchildren by) both of his daughters........his wife being conveniently turned to salt.....
Annnnnndd How is answering your question with biblical references being "snarky", exactly?

Is it really an idea, or is it how many/most people are predisposed? I think women in general prefer it. I’m not so sure about men ... probably fewer men would be monogamous if society didn’t frown on polyamory.

I do know there are non-human animals that gravitate toward monogamy as if it’s in their genes.

@ildar717 Yes. So perhaps your question might be better posed as is it a societal ideal versus a biblical idea?

I think a lot more people (men and women) are unfaithful than we realize. Which is sad, to me, since most of us expect fidelity and are hurt by such a betrayal (excluding couples who agree to an open relationship.)

I guess true monogamy comes down to personal morals, values, preferences, and circumstances. My partner and I have deep love, respect, and chemistry, so the thought of being with someone else honestly never crosses our minds.

I'd say it's a woman's idea

@ildar717 the bond that's formed when oxytocin is released..

@ildar717 the effects of oxytocin in men is unknown at this time...

@ildar717 I would say that it's based on the desire for paternity certainty (for men,) coupled with the desire for resource certainty (for women).

Each sex loses some freedom by monogamy, but each sex gains some level of security by it.

@AmyTheBruce resource certainty? Lmao

@Cutiebeauty That certainty may or may not be borne out by the facts!

But, in general, monogamy is one way to hedge our bets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527555
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.