Agnostic.com

3 3

Meet Frenchman Jules Brunet, the real-life last samurai. Fighting alongside the Shogunate rebels who wanted to maintain traditionalism in Japan, Brunet joined a legion of 3,000 in a battle against 7,000 Imperial troops that lasted half a year in 1868 and 1869. Ultimately, the clash ended with the defeat of the samurai, largely because they did not use Western weaponry the way the Imperial troops did.
[allthatsinteresting.com]

Jetty 7 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you, that was very interesting. I had read a bit about the conflict after watching The Last Samurai, which I watched because I'm a Japanophile and Ken Watanabe fan. Perhaps because Tom Cruise annoys me, I hadn't read as much about his character's history.

@Jetty I completely agree, thank you. 🙂

They hastily built two wooden cannons for the last battle. Worked about as well as one would expect. 😟

interesting.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.