Agnostic.com

3 3

Water rescue crews scramble amid deadliest August in years in the Seattle area.

In this summer of COVID-19, when boat travel is cut off by closed borders and limits on cruising the San Juan and Canadian Gulf islands, boat activity in local waters has spiked. And with pools closed, there are more people swimming in the lakes.

“It’s been a lot more stress on the lakes,” said Sgt. Kevin Haistings, a 36-year member of the Seattle Police Dept., 24 of them spent with the Harbor Patrol. “You could walk across the lake, boat-to-boat some days, with paddle boats floating all around."

So far this year, the Seattle Fire Dept. has responded to 56 water rescues, involving both boats and swimmers. And in King County, there have been 15 drownings since mid-May, seven or eight in August alone, according to Tony Gomez, manager for Violence & Injury Prevention for Seattle – King County Public Health. Gomez said that “makes this August the deadliest in at least the most recent seven years, and we have a ways to go.”

The recent losses bring home what the Seattle Police Dept. and the Harbor Patrol have been stressing for years:

If you’re on a boat, wear a life vest. If you swim off the boat, stay close. Boat owners should keep onboard a “throw bag” with 100 feet of line attached.

Maier believes that the best thing people can do when they witness someone going under is not to move from the spot where you last saw the person. Try to line something up with your point of view — a landmark like a bridge or a house across the water.

Over the past five years, 100% of people who drowned in the Columbia River and Wenatchee River were not wearing a life vest, according to Chelan County Rescue Services where I live.

Growing up on a lake in Michigan, everyone had to wear a life vest in our boats. My parents provided life vests for guests, children and adults.

All of our boats had lines attached to a rescue throw ring and a bailer. My parents added oarlocks and oars to the three sailboats for emergencies. They were smart and safe.

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

56 water rescues? We've had a few weekends with that many since the first shut down as in during shutdown) Stir crazy rednecks hitting the lakes and rivers with small children and very few life jackets. Even kids drowning in 5 ft of clear water. It'ss been pretty grim.

I lived in a house on stilts by the Mississippi river, sometimes IN the river during flood. We would have to boat home from the levee and boat the dogs to the levee to do their business if it got too deep, etc. You can never be too safe. Lived there for ten years, it's definitely a different type of life.

To get home with the dogs we would have to cut the motor and drift the last so many feet. Only one time did a dog rush the stairs and bump me out of the boat. The boat became wedged over top of my legs and I looked up to see them both looking over at me and I couldn't get them to move to take the weight off my legs. I barely pushed it off in time, severely scraping up my legs, then had to swim after the f&^%ing boat as it started to float rapidly with flood current down the river.

I'd like to state, that I never formally learned to swim. I just imitate what I've seen others do. I was really fortunate. I can float forever, if need be. That doesn't help when you're held down.

That dog after that never did that again and he'd be guilty looking until I told him to go on up. Yes, I had on a vest...not that it mattered.

I went in the next morning and got a shot for antibiotics and a tetanus booster.

@Larimar

Love your sense of humor! Glad you made it through safely.

Please learn to swim after pools reopen. Swimming is fun!

@LiterateHiker I've floated down the Mississippi in the shipping lane, tubing, etc. Ignorant of me, I know. I do manage but it's not pretty. My mom refused to let me as a kid, I suppose they do have adult lessons at rec centers and I should look. It's just embarrassing but better that than dead!

Smart parents ,I just purchased a recreation kayak for flat water but a life jacket is a must plus bailer ,whistle,throw line and a light are all standard safety equipment one must have if you get stopped by the authorities plus i have a small collapsable paddle,, Safety equipment is vitally important for everyone

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.