Agnostic.com

15 13

LINK New Research Shows the Four Conditions That Lead to a Less Religious Society | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The work that needs to be done to create a post religious society - from the article: In short, if you want to create a less religious world, then trashing religion isn’t the only way to get there. You can work toward peace, economic stability, better access to education, more freedom of thought, etc., and religiosity will eventually decline.

Nunya 6 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the Bible says that the end comes after all rulers, powers, and authorities have been destroyed, which i mention bc it seems to me that they are the ones working to basically avoid all that stuff you mention

Yep! When neurodivergents rise up religions fall.

Awesome findings -- give people opportunity to live life free from oppression and corruption and they will naturally drift away from social support structures which sooth the rough edges in life caused by oppression and corruption.

i think religious freedom is the most impactful tool in creating a less religious society, and i think that it should start at a very young age for the kids to learn it well while their brains are still unpolluted from the effect religious institutions have upon the brains.

they'll know - i mean kids - that religions are copies from each other and that there is nothing special about any of them. by doing that it will be the last generation with religion still existing, as they become the adults of tommorow, it'll be religion free and will have successfully buried god forever.

Basem Level 7 Aug 28, 2020

If you really want to trash religion . . . . become a televangelist, ha ha ha.

I just have to say it. To me that sounds like the difference between out two political parties with the one not in power working toward those things. The one in power is clearly not contributing toward economic stability, it is anti-education and it trashes critical thinking.

gearl Level 8 Aug 28, 2020

In general, but not always. There are plenty of greedy, shady Dems as well. I think it has less to do with party & more to do with the individual politician's moral character. Bear in mind I'm a Democrat - but I certainly do NOT agree with a lot of their policies. I just happen to realize that even the most upstanding Republican is going to be even less motivated to change policy in a way that will help average people.

There are, of course, extremely rare exceptions to that generalization.

Will be hard in the US where people have huge difficulties in even pay the rent without having several jobs or being afraid of bing shot by some maniac with a gun or the police.

My theory is that the us legal system bases its premises on the idea that everyone should think the same and differences are evidence of a criminal mind. Those theories are from religion, taught and perpetuated by religion, so the uprisings against police shootings and against unreasonable legal proceedings will the the only answer. I do not see America recovering as it was founded on some religious ideology it is more likely to fall into chaos and be taken over than to be able to recover from its damaging ideals.

I certainly agree that working toward peace, economic stability, better access to education, and more freedom of thought is a good thing, and that supernaturalism is not a good thing, but I think it’s a factual error to equate religion with supernaturalism because there are many religions that reject supernaturalism. The irony here is that working toward peace and stability, etc. is closer to the essence of authentic religion than supernaturalism is.

The study itself was careful to use the term “supernaturalist religion” or “supernaturalism” but Mehta carelessly disregarded the distinction.

skado Level 9 Aug 27, 2020

Maybe voting for Atheists would help.

Makes sense that if you ease socities hardships, they dont' need to lean on religion in order to feel good.

The opiate of the people, as Marx said...

really enjoy Hemant Mehta.

Makes sense

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 27, 2020

These points all describe scandinavian countries very well except for the existential security part. I am thankful that the scandinavian countries are concerned about climate change and doing everything they can to stop it.

Of course you will have to move quick, the religious are aware of those things too, and a moving fast to squash them, before they become universal. They have already succeeded in crushing them in a lot of Islamic countries, and are moving fast in the US and Russia.

There is nothing brings defeat as quickly, as thinking that you can smell victory.

Here's the link to the study for anyone who wants to explore this topic further: [secularismandnonreligion.org]

Nunya Level 6 Aug 27, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.