Agnostic.com

5 8

Started training for a new job this week, and today we got to listen to a live call. We're underwriting assistants for Medicare Supplements, so our customer base is mostly over 65. Classmate volunteers for the first live call. Customer is 92 and in rural Tennessee. Very chatty. He gets off on a tangent, he used to be a democrat... Now he loves DJT. I nearly lost my lunch. And then he started talking about what a good Xian he (customer) is and started preaching about gawd is love. I would have shut that down in a heartbeat, but the classmate is all of 25 and was just blindsided. Oy vey, what have I got myself into.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can you drink while doing this job?

Ohub Level 7 Aug 29, 2020

Since I WFH, and the cats aren't going to talk to strangers.... I might just start.

Oh, poor HC! Do you get these calls a lot? Or are most people just interested in business?

From previous work most people want to take care of the business at hand, however... Our customer base is primarily over 65, so lots will be retired, and with COVID currently out there, I believe lots are going to be lonely and chatty.

@HippieChick58 RIGHT! I was recently asked to call all the supporting members of the Historical Society where I volunteer. (It's not as if I have nothing else to do!) But I agreed and spent the better part of a day making ''thank you calls''...."I'm not asking you for money! I'm calling to thank you for your support." Well--at least half of them wanted to chat with me and so, I did it. We're all in this together, aren't we?

I'd never do call centers again. Between customers telling me I have a sexy voice and attempting to arrange interstate meets, between the abusive ones insisting they get their way, and ones like this...I'm done. I went back into accounting. Leave me in the corner with excel on 70%...it's more peaceful. Good luck to you!

How do I get them to leave me alone since I'm already covered?

lerlo Level 8 Aug 27, 2020

Not a clue, sorry.

I was wrong the first time, sorry. Tell them to put you on their DO NOT CALL list. Then they have 30 days to stop calling. I just block numbers that call me twice that don't leave a message, and I don't answer calls that aren't in my contacts list. There is a website for the Do Not Call registry.

@HippieChick58 I'm on the do not call list--that doesnt help. thanks though

I'd have had a bad connection and disconnect

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528516
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.