Agnostic.com

3 0

Anybody know of a good immunotherapy and cryoablation place?

I got a friend who has a mom with a terminal prognosis, after the treatment became ineffective. I looked up a doctor named Jason R. Williams of the Williams Cancer institute in Atlanta. He does this technique to treat cancer, but only in Mexico City because most of the drugs he uses are not FDA approved. We got a consultation, but had to pay 450 upfront via PayPal. This sounds like some bullshit to me, but I was happy to give my friend the money if it meant a chance of good news.

My friend's mom can't travel so he referred us to a Jeanne Stryker in San Diego, but didn't give us any further info. I found her website. She seems to also work at the Scripps Cancer Center and her office is basically on the hospitals grounds.

I had talked to a real person from the Stryker MD place over the phone and she said that she would send me the some "medical intake forms" and some medical release forms. Basically, something was fishy about the signing process just for Stryker alone, nevermind this weird runaround we're doing. The UI seemed so incomplete, I've never been to even the shittiest of clinics that had "Type Question Here" instead of the actual question on any of their forms. We had to do so many electronic signatures and one of the agreements we had to sign was for a 620 consultation fee, also before the actual consultation AND you had to put your credit card info. I've run out of money, and the possibility of some shenanigans is now higher than ever in my mind, not that I hadn't considered it, but 450 was a small price to pay for me.

I weighed the costs. Hell, if I had the money I would still pay the 620 but only in cash. But I really wasn't about to let my friend put any credit card info whatsoever. I did my research and this process seems experimental, but legit. When talking with the supposed Williams, I tried to read up on cancer in peer-reviewed articles as much as I could so that I could ask him the toughest questions possible and see if he squirmed. Some of these charlatans can be pretty sophisticated, you know. The price of the cryoablation was explicitly stated as 8000 dollars. But, the immontherapy wasn't, and I've heard that shit can be hella expensive. There's a lot to consider, you know. And I can't dwell too long on some investigation to see if this Stryker person is legit. Google searches yield very little and I've only seen one photo of her.

So my questions are these:
Should I try to raise money on gofundme or here or whatever and go through with this potential scam on the off-chance that it's the real deal?
Or does anyone know of a more legitimate place where they can do this stuff?

FuckReligion 6 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they have to send you to Mexico that is reason enough to RUN! Not every case is curable, no matter what they tell you to get your $$$!
Did you Google the names of the doctor(s)/ clinics? The name of the place in Mexico, the reason they have to work in Mexico?
I Googled "cryoablation" and it sounds like a very specific treatment for a few very specific cancers, and I see no reason why " other drugs" would be involved, or why it would cost that much.
Then, can you get your $$$ back? Lodge a protest with the credit card company, for example?

The thing about Mexico is that I sometimes trust their medical practices more than the ones in the U.S. There is a long story and log of experiences for this. It doesn't mean I'll trust every schmuck, but I try to find a balance in how much I'm willing to give up and how much I'll gain.
I paid via PayPal, so, I wouldn't know where to begin. If anything, it doesn't bug me that much. Those were my last moneys and I was probably going to spend them on some more stupid shit. What's important right now, is to find a solution to at least extending her life.

@FuckReligion1. PayPal is Excellent at helping in these situations! Use the phone, talk to a nice good-English speaking person.
2. As far as trusting other countries medically, just watch a few episodes of "Botched"......

You should go with your first impression on these places, they are scam central and not at all legit. I've researched numerous places like this and not one has passed the muster of offering evidence based practice with reliable outcomes. They prey on vulnerable people desperate to live. It's sick, deplorable, and if the treatments they are offering truly worked, they would be available through at least clinical trials in reputable cancer centers. The fact that they are not should cause you great concern. It might be worthy of me to note that I worked in cancer treatment for over ten years and closely with clinical trials. I'm not just offering Google obtained advice. I've helped many patients wade through the BS scams out there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528575
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.