Agnostic.com

4 2

Blasphemy is a word I’m beginning to see more often. I thought it was relegated to the outdated phrases like “ applesauce” and “ Hoosegow”

The last person to be convicted of blasphemy in the United States was an Arkansas man who in 1928 put a sign in his storefront reading, “Evolution Is True. The Bible’s a Lie. God’s a Ghost.” He spent 3 months in jail.

The evangelicals are becoming more powerful every day.

Does anyone else worry that in the not too distant future a simple thing like saying, “ there is no god” could have a US citizen jailed for blasphemy?

Lightupmylife 7 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With the Republicans bragging about how mitch & them have packed our Federal Courts, and with our Supreme Court squarely in their pocket, yes, the threat is real. Look at how they ignore protocol, norms, and laws. In this case, if it excited their base watching ‘us’ sent to jail, prison, or death camps, the Party of trump would do it.

Varn Level 8 Aug 29, 2020

Nope.

Mmmmmm....no. Too many of us trust the ACLU! And FFRF! Now..would the evangeloons love that blasphemy possibility? Would the evangeloons support enacting laws to reflect all the ten ''commandments?" You could be tossed into the slammer for sassing your mother!

@Green_Soldier71 But then...you'd likely learn many interesting new words while in the slammer!

No, I don't think we are anywhere near that 'apocolypse'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528859
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.