Agnostic.com

11 17

I Could Have Suffered Breonna Taylor's Fate. Being White May Have Saved My Life.

Three years ago, I had recently moved into my new apartment. I was separated and waiting to appear for my divorce proceedings. I've never slept well, and I often stay up late watching television. And I'm a licensed gun owner with a concealed carry permit.

One night, or rather early morning, at almost 1 a.m., as I sat on my second-hand sofa streaming reruns of LOST, I heard an abrupt pounding on my front door, less than ten feet away from where I sat. It was accompanied by an incoherent shouting. I wear hearing aids at work, but take them out when I get home, so the voice, already muffled by the heavy front door, was further garbled.

Startled and alarmed, I walked quickly to the bedroom and retrieved my handgun from where I keep it secured. Holding it behind my thigh, I walked cautiously back to the front door, where the pounding and shouting was still going on, turned the porch light on, and slowly unlocked the door, holding on to the knob, ready to throw my weight against it if this was some kind of push-in robbery attempt, trying to be ready for anything.

What I had not been ready for was the sight of several men in dark blue outfits lined up outside my door. Then someone shouted, "GUN!!" and I was looking into the muzzle of a 9mm service automatic. Only then did I see the patch on the man's sleeve in the shape of a badge, only then did I see the silver name tag on his pocket, and realize- these were the police.

Then luck intervened and someone said, "Hey, it's okay, I know him," and he called me by name. It turned out to be a former coworker of mine in the Department of Corrections who went off to join the police department. He reassured his colleagues that I was "cool", and I measurably assisted by slowly placing my gun on the floor and sliding it away. But I still had no idea why police were pounding on my door in the middle of the night.

They asked me to come outside (in my bare feet) and started asking me the strangest questions; if I was the only one in the apartment, was I sure no one else was there, was there a woman in the apartment. Then they told me they needed to search the place and that I would have to be restrained and wait while they did. "Restrained" is a polite term for handcuffed. It took them much longer to search two rooms, one kitchen and a bathroom than I thought possible, but I suppose time is subjective when one is "restrained".

They explained, as they released me, that there had been a phone call claiming that a woman was screaming and waving a gun at a man in my apartment. A month or so later, another officer came around in the afternoon, knocking (not pounding) on my door, to ask if I had a secret pit under my floor where I was hiding people. Apparently someone in my neighborhood was suffering delusions when they went off their medication and making calls to the police about the neighbors. But that's not the point.

The point is, I wonder what these officers (exclusively White, other than my old work partner) would have done had a Black man come to the door in the middle of the night with a pistol hidden behind his leg. Would they have given him a chance to put it down? Or would they have simply reacted? Would they have assumed he was about to shoot?

I'm not drawing any conclusions one way or the other. But it made me stop and think about the assumptions many people make about the police, and the assumptions police make about the people they deal with. I've had the experience from both sides, as a Corrections Officer having to get compliance and having to look on everyone in a situation as a possible suspect, and as a possible suspect myself being confronted by the police in a tactical situation that, had I made the wrong move, might very well have resulted in my death. But what I'm wondering right now is: how did the color of my skin weight the equation? Did the accident of my genetics keep me alive? Because, if it did, that says something's still very wrong with America.

Paul4747 8 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am autistic and misunderstand directions easily (ESPECIALLY IN STRESSFUL SITUATIONS) and have had cops pull a gun on me multiple times. Once they accused me of stealing a car because I didn't answer their questions right (I was struggling to understand why I was pulled over and getting yelled at) and another time they decided I must be a psychopath because of being autistic and I had tried to walk towards them because I couldn't hear what they were asking. If I try to tell any other stories of the crazy stuff cops have done to me everyone acts like "well duh, you should have done this instead..." Sure, If I was neurotypical I probably would have done that. Nobody gave me the neurotypical rulebook on how to act either! They just assume and punish!
I have relatives that post online about how people who think differently shouldn't be allowed to live on top of that...and their law enforcement too. I'm not stupid or unaware, I live in fear!

I fully support former VP Biden's proposal to fund psychologists or mental health professionals to ride along with police officers and respond to incidents, so they can assist and lend expertise where many law enforcement officers either don't have the training or didn't care to absorb the knowledge. Far too many lives have been lost in what should have been routine interactions if only the supposed professionals had kept calm and seen the signs.

If you lived in south africa the outcome might not have been the same for you. Racism and discrimination will always exist in humanity.

I saw the title and rooted for the aggressor.

Okay, I don't understand. You were hoping for someone white to be shot by police? Because if that's the way you're going with that, it's kinda fucked up.

I don't want anyone innocent being shot by police.

Why did you root for the aggressor based on the title?

Something, actually a lot of things are wrong with America. One of the biggest is that every Tom, Dick and Harriet is allowed to carry a gun no matter how crazy they are.

And we have 2 internationally known Schools For The Deaf here, and cops murder a deaf person every couple of years for "failure to comply". Cops have access to the registry of licensed handgun owners, but they don't want to know that when they're busting down doors.

You are Very lucky to be white! The operative scenario nowadays is, if black, shoot to kill, worry about any fallout later.....

In law enforcement the common phrase is "let god sort em out".

Jaysus!!! Happy to know you got away with it. As one of the guys knew you, even if you were black, you'd get away anyway. If nobody knew you, I don't think the colour of your skin would matter. If the guys were good professionals, you could get away like you did. Someone more nervous on the trigger was there, that is the main question. This is my reading of the situation, might not be the most realistic one. It seems that one of your neighbours is troublesome due to circumstances, I think you'll be in a good situation after this, I think the next time, the cops will knock knowing you have a legal weapon but you will only use it if really necessary and will behave a lot differently. They want also to avoid bloodshed, especially if unnecessarily.

Nonsense, if he was black he would be dead. Why would they have to hand cuff him? Nowhere in the world do they hand cuff people unless they do arrest them.

I think a nervous finger would have reacted more quickly had he been black.

Debatable. He only had the time to recognize me because his partner, the one pointing a gun at my face, did not immediately pull the trigger. I still don't know whether this was professionalism on his part, cool nerves, or...? I have just started questioning how he might have reacted differently if it were someone else in my shoes.

I think both your skin color and someone knowing you were factors. Also, in your case the police at least knocked and identified themselves, in Taylor's they didn't, they just busted in and began firing.

Even considering the testimony from her boyfriend, they may have "identified" themselves just as much as my police did. He stated they heard repeated pounding on the door and she replied many times that they were getting dressed, they were coming, hold on, and words to that effect, before their door was knocked down. It's possible that the police were indeed shouting "Police!" but couldn't be heard over the other noise they were making. Without body cams we'll never know.

Yelling something while beating on a door in the middle of the night, to me, does not count as "identifying yourself" as the police, whatever the truth is.

What scared me even more was being told, at the station the next day, that if I had been asleep and not heard the ruckus or got to the door in time, they would have kicked my door in and made no apology about it.

If you had been Black you would be pushing up daisies now.

There is something unquestionably wrong in this country, and there has been since it's
inception.
Racism has always been at the roots of this nation. It was before the Revolutionary War.
Slavery was accepted, in the North as well as the South.
There are still many who believe slavery is still acceptable and have no problem with it.
Believe it or not.

If you had been a black man in that situation, you'd probably be dead.
No joke.

The country was founded on some peoples ideas of "bibllical principals", meaning they expect everyone CAN think the same way and if they come to a different conclusion their automatically evil. That is the common thread I have seen in laws not working and everything else thats screwing this country up, the assumption that everyone has the same kind of brain. Being autistic I have never assumed that and never understood that other do or why others do until after my diagnosis and reading the differences of perspectives on either side of the neuro-coin.

Being white and the fact one of the guys knew you kept you from being shot to death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:529019
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.