Agnostic.com

7 16

Steep hike today. Descending was a bitch, a technical term.

"I wonder where this old road goes," Karen said. Today she and I hiked 7.8 miles with over 2,500 feet of elevation gain and loss.

On weekends, mountain bikers swarm Squilchuck State Park. We effectively sidestepped mountain bikers by climbing up an extremely steep, washed out gravel road to a high ridge. No other people were up there. Perfect.

Descending, tiny rocks like ball bearings made it very slippery. Our feet would shoot out from under us. Plus, it was extremely steep.

So Karen and I sidestepped down through the woods beside the road whenever possible. Dry plants crunched underfoot. Glad I had two hiking poles. We made it down safely.

"This would be great for snowshoeing," I said. Karen agreed. Steep trails are easier on snowshoes.

A helicopter zoomed overhead pulling a big bucket. Where was it going? High fire danger today with winds and tinder-dry conditions.

Photos:

1. Bear Rocks.

2. A dried Pine Drop plant.

3. We made it to the high saddle on the left. Usually we hike below the rocky cliffs.

4. Wild Rose hips, a sign of Fall.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great story and pictures, again! Glad you found a safe way down.

Girl I LOVE your adventure stories...I live vicariously through you...keep em coming😁

Autumn is my fav....and rose hips are high in vitamin C

They make a really great Jam also😁

@phoenixone1 They do! I also have a spiced rose hip cake recipe I haven't made for a while. Hmmmm

Great pics

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 30, 2020

love the pictures ,long hike,great elevation you climbed also ,step trail,one has to be so care full especially coming down so gravity does not take over

@RoyMillar

Thank you. It was much safer to descend through the woods.

Fingers are a little torn up from pushing branches aside. Should have worn the gloves in my pack.

Oh, a technical term. I see. In that case, my work week was a cast-iron bitch. I really needed the extra day off.

@Paul4747

That was a joke.

@LiterateHiker I got it, I was running with it.

The descend is always harder on my old knees than the climb.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 30, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:529392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.