Agnostic.com

7 0

LINK 4 Essential Elements of Agnosticism

"Agnostics, for the most part, also won’t have any issue getting married in a church or a synagogue, for example." Reid Gan

As an agnostic or atheist, how would you feel about getting married in a church or synagogue?

GoodMan 7 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1. we don't know that we'll never know something specific. We only know that there will always be something we're not going to know
  2. "know" is relative anyway
  3. I can think of reasons why religious believers would want a civil marriage only, whether they later have casual "blessings" or not. E.g what degree of baggage they want / don't want to buy into. Even people of religion still shouldn't package deal. Cafeteria is the only way to go. If you're seeking "leadership" out of control freakery, stick to the rules, otherwise just pick and choose.

I chose to be married (outside) by a female judge, at her fathers house. πŸ™‚

Now that's a ceremony...lol

@GoodMan NO religion, no dress-code, no gifts (encouraged donations to charity), handwritten invitations, no bridesmaids, no dollar dance. NO BS

That articles is todays nomination for this years worst piece of dumbassery in journalism award.

@LenHazell53
"That articles is todays nomination for this years worst piece of dumbassery in journalism award."

Apparently I'm not the only one that thought this...lol

I stopped with "agnosticism is a belief" whatever.

I found this passage a tad questionable:

"Agnostics Find The Same Fulfillment From Agnosticism That Others Find From Religion

This idea of β€œnot knowing and never knowing” actually brings us the same fulfillment that others get from believing that they’ve found the truth. It is quite a peaceful and tranquil ideology. We have come to terms with it, and would never ask for you to do the same."

What is this based on, I ask an an atheist?

I doesn't bother me; I find it amusing if anything.

A tad questionable in the same way ethnic cleansing is a tad questionable?

@David1955
"I found this passage a tad questionable"

I struggled to find something that I didn't take issue with in the article.
That's the reason I decided to focus on the feelings of agnostics and atheists feelings about
getting married in a synagogue or church.

@GoodMan to an Australian, saying a tad questionable is like saying a load of rubbish.

I would not get married in a church or synagogue. To do so would be dishonest.

Most churches and synagogues require at least one member of the couple to be a member of the congregation (some will make an exception if one or more of your parents are members.)

So, I would either be marrying a religious person (ugh), joining a church myself (bleh), going to my family's church (hell no), or being a dirty liar. None of those options appeal to me.

It can be challenging; especially if proposed to, or when love is present...imho, but I respect your view

My wife was a believer, but divorced. So we married in a civil ritual arranged through the town hall, and then went to the chapel to have a church blessing service. ( It amazes me the nit picking that religions will go to. They won't perform a marriage, but will do a blessing service, which is exactly the same ritual.) But I was happy to go along with it, since it made my wife happy, and it meant nothing to me. Since all religion is meaningless, there is no reason why I should not go through any ritual, pray, or be blessed, it has no meaning.

The only possible harm done is that by adding a little to the size of the congregation, and thereby I may add a little to religions prestige, but one grump in the corner, who puts little or no money on the plate, will make little difference that way, but attending may be very important to my loved ones, so you go with it.

Happy wife, happy life...to an extent...lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.