Agnostic.com

7 13

Steep technology learning curve this year.

Today I did my first video meeting on Zoom. The meeting was for volunteer college mentors, led by the new program coordinator, Mara.

Next I need to learn screen-sharing, split-screen, and how to use Google Drive to share documents with my student. How to go on as a document editor and write suggestions in a bubble. My daughter offered to help me with all of this.

Mentors will need to reassure and encourage students who feel depressed and anxious about their future. Students spent half of their junior year at home taking online classes. Still stuck at home for senior year. No sports, cheering at games, volunteering, community service or socializing in groups. Will their college classes be online, too?

No one knows if Americans will pull together to beat COVID-19. Doubtful.

I volunteered to help Mara scan paper scholarships each week to email to students and mentors. Many local scholarships are paper-and-pencil.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor, helping first generation (children of immigrants) write essays to apply for college and scholarships. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

Photos:

1. Rachel and I had fun applying for scholarships, 2015.

2. Won the first Scholarship Rockstar award. 2018.

3. Took three young women I previously mentored on a day hike in Icicle Gorge. 2018.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

screen sharing is easy....current assignment uses Zoom, Teams by Microsoft, and Skype business pretty much daily in this manner. You'll get it and love it!

You definitely are a rock star in so many ways,caring and loving and compassionate 🙂

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much!

I feel inept because I am behind in learning new technology.

@LiterateHiker Your not the only one who is behind ,\\I can barely keep up with the basics ,once we get older it does just not mean as much to keep on top of all the new advances in technolgy

You go girl!! Woohoo! Girl power!! 🙂🙂

You rock in so many ways!

Cool, go you! Still working; we are now using Teams for meetings. The hardest thing about not being in the office for me is not having techie people around to help. But am just holding my head above water.

Yeah have fun, have been doing zoom meetings and remote doctors appt

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 16, 2020

Fantastic ! Good for you !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534577
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.