Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Could Isaac Asimov's Planet Where Nightfall Almost Never Comes Really Exist?

For those of you who are Asimov enthusiasiasts (as I am), I posted this!

BookDeath 8 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting speculation. I must note that the novel "Nightfall" was derived from the short story with that name that Isaac Asimov had written some days before.

IMO, it's very dynamically implausible. The more distant stars would have to emit a lot of light to illuminate a planet in that fashion, and that will make them short-lived. Also, it may be difficult for a moon to hide -- it will likely eclipse the other stars also.

So instead of full daylight, what one is likely to get from the more distant stars is twilight, though that may be enough to hide the stars outside the system.

Anything is possible..

They have found at least one planet that does not rotate. There are probly more. There are also planets traveling through space with no sun to provide light.

Inhabitants of a planet that doesn't rotate would experience half of their year (one orbit around their sun) in darkness, and the other half in light. Inhabitants of a planet that rotates one revolution per orbit would live in either eternal darkness, twilight or perpetual sun. This model is visible in Earth's relationship to the Moon. We never view the far side (not the dark side) of the Moon.

@pnullifidian They have found a Jupiter sized planet that has one side that faces it's Sun continuously. I love the science channel.

@Sticks48 That's just like my second example of one revolution per orbit--our moon and ourselves. Imagine what it must be like on that poor planet, one side in permanent darkness, the other in unending sunlight. I was not aware of this discovery, thank you!

@pnullifidian You're welcome.

I live in a part of Scotland where we only have about one month of night time left for a while!

That's in the summer. In the winter, it's nighttime for most of the day. At the poles, it's 6-month daytime and 6-month nighttime.

A habitable planet? that exists in daytime all the time? Maybe. Uninhabitable, many exist.

Yes, but not as he described it, and the article presents some workable but absurd propositions. It is certainly possible to have several red dwarf stars in it but highly unlikely they would share the same orbit. Might be fun to see what could be done without those rings of 'evenly spaced' stars. I might just do that -- but not now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.