Agnostic.com

7 4

How do people get short-term memory loss?

I was just wondering, because I don't know how people get it. Are you born with it, or do you develope it? Does anyone know? I know quite a few people at my place whom have it. Is it from mental illnesses?

Sarahroo29 8 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Weed

Lol, really?

What was the question again? 😛

Lol.

There is a good movie thriller about permanent short term memory loss, it's not a horror movie. It's called "Memento".

Hmmm... I'll look into that.

Head trauma can cause it.

Hmmm... Okay. Like a TBI?

@Sarahroo29 Yes, also alcoholics when sober. There have been case studies of people who from day to day after awaking from sleep can not recall what happened the previous day.

@buzz13 Oh, okay.

@Sarahroo29 When I worked as a program facilitator at a mental health drop in center, there was a woman in her 40's who had short term memory loss from her traumatic birth, lack of oxygen

@buzz13 Oh wow.

@buzz13 those are black outs not memory loss. Close cousins

@SACatWalker We were discussing short-term memory loss, a black out is something different. Alcoholics when sober have a hard time recalling the who,what, where that happened while sober. Dr. use this test all the time, tell you to remember 3 random things then later ask you to recall them. It is used with sober alcoholics to test the mental acuity. Some regain the ability to recall recent events and some have permanent brain damage , will not be able to.

@ashortbeauty Please see my reply to: SACatWalker above. Both my parents were alcoholics and I learned this the hard way.

@buzz13 I'm speaking from personal experience

@ashortbeauty OK, I understand. Sorry

It happens with age. The great scottish comedian Chic Murray met an old friend on an Edinburgh street. After a conversation lasting about 20 minutes Chic asked his friend " Tell me, when we met today was I walking up or down the hill? "
" Down "
" Ah that`s good. I will have had my lunch then "

27-year-old's have it here.

It is a side effect of brain injury for one.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that.

It can be caused by an accident to the head. It can also be from mental illness

Oh wow. Good to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.