Agnostic.com

21 7

How can anyone seriously stand behind the motto "In God We Trust"?

Whenever I see "In God We Trust" emblazoned on things I just have to shake my head and think WTF people? And these days it isn't just our coins and bills, the religious and not-so-religious right are putting it everywhere.

But to the question - clearly the atheists and agnostics of the world are not behind that statement. But what about the religious - do they actually show any example that they "trust" their God? Is this "trust" manifest in any other way than using "god" as a justification for decision? And if they actually "trust" their god why do they spend so much time groveling to it in prayer, doubting it, questioning it, and generally spending much of their lives exhibiting anything other than trust in a god.

For sure there may be the occasional suicide bomber who psyches themselves into a self-destructive frenzy, but is it really trust or just mental delusion? Some people do some pretty insane and painful things to themselves, maybe even kill themselves without putting a deity in the picture so I don't think religion or trust in god is a necessary or sufficient condition for that kind of stuff.

Meanwhile everyday religious people devote a hell of a lot of time to trying to instigate things that they could instead just "trust" their god will take care of. If you're diagnosed with a potentially lethal virus why not just trust in god vs. try to force an outcome that you desire with the latest scientific treatments? I just do not believe any action like that is compatible with "In God We Trust". It's just a big huge lie and deep down no one really buys into unless they actually have some clinical mental malfunction.

prometheus 7 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments (26 - 21)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:540999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.