Agnostic.com

3 3

The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence, where insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence. —William Harwood

CuddyCruiser 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Belief in God as an avenue for inner peace I kind of understand, but when your self appointed job is to convince others that there's a God then you're just playing God yourself.
The worst issue with Christianity of course is the mandate to convince others.

Aw-ww, will someone please tell Harwood that holding firmly to the Big Bang story is incompatible with the evidence but may be highly compatible with a person's salary, and that's not insane.

The universe is objectively expanding, so at every point in the past everything was closer together and the further back you turn the clock the more extreme that closeness becomes.
Just as the further you look into the future the further apart everything is.
Even now galaxies are disappearing over the edge of the observable universe.
Please explain your reason for not believing this is true that's based on evidence, or at least some semblance of scientific theory that would contradict observation.

@Willow_Wisp

Your bio says nothing about your having studied physics. I did, as an undergraduate, in graduate school, and after I retired.

Physics requires laboratory evidence and In your first two sentences above, you make two claims (“the universe is objectively expanding” and “galaxies are disappearing over the edge....” ) for which there is no evidence. You also draw two invalid conclusions (in the past “everything was closer together” and in the future “further [sic] apart everything is” ).

If you want relevant information, you can start by going to the website www.newtoeu.com and downloading the free pdf file. While you’re at the website, look at the info there.

@yvilletom I was a nuclear engineer in the Navy and I'm an advocate of Thorium MSR reactors. I keep up with all current theory and scientific work.
You however are an obvious charlatan.
Real competent physicist would present evidence instead of assuming based on credentials that they pull out of their ass.
Your challenge of those first two sentences exposes your incompetence.

@Willow_Wisp

I don’t believe you, nor do I believe you keep up with all current theory and scientific work. There’s too much of it.

Rather than look at my info and attack it, you attack me.

Period.

@yvilletom I couldn't care less if you believe me, I don't believe you have anything at all to do with physics. You have the cosmic background radiation the Hubble red shift and gravitational lensing to explain. I can site ALL my sources, all you can do is call me a liar.
Don't try to fool us, people like me will call you on your shit.
BTW: www.newtoeu.com is a shit website.

His book is the opinion of the authors as opposed to a scientifically sound hypothesis subject to peer review. Just go through the first few pages and you can read the underlying agenda of conspiracy theories, of which seems to be most mainstream scientists verses us those who think outside the box. Then it proceeds to cherry pick scientific facts from physics history to prove their point (their opinion). If you are attracted to pseudo scientific speculation with no scientific basis and conspiracy theories, this is your book.

@Willow_Wisp And the Big Bang, which lacks empirical evidence, is your religion.. You pretend atheism.

@yvilletom You're an old man that found an antiestablishment conspiracy that you like and you aren't capable of distinguishing between fact and conspiracy anymore, there's a lot of that going on these days. I don't blame you, I pity you, and I hope I'm not like that a couple of decades from now.

@Willow_Wisp You will have seen that your excess T sent you so far up so many trees, you will have finished your transition, and you and many others will be kicking yourselves for having bought the Big Bang fraud so completely.

That's the difference, put most succintly! 😍🤣

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.