Agnostic.com

1 0

What If the Government Ran a Social Network ?

If Facebook and Google limit services in Australia, could the ABC run a social network?

A new paper suggests a publicly funded replacement could form part of the government’s response if the tech giants limit access

FearlessFly 9 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would they have to fund it. Let it carry adds and turn a profit.

I would contend that profit is not the reason we have government. 😛

@FearlessFly Yes but profit could buy you more and better government. In this country a number of quangos, such as forestry and once the post office were able to make profits. It does not have to be run by government as such , having funded it once it could then be independant, and repay its loan.

@Fernapple Would you argue that prisons-for-profit is a great idea ? 😮

@FearlessFly No. Though thanks to M. Thatcher we have had that. I said forestry, historically worked well in this country, and added social media, you have to treat each case on its individual merits, do not please strawman me, that is not the level of debate I have come to expect on this site.

@Fernapple . . . only one of us is making the case for government profit.
I'm not suggesting I favor gov't waste, I do think social media are great examples of capitalism run-rampant. I think capitalist motives and government motives are (and should be) different.

@FearlessFly I try not to believe in any absolutes or ideals. If It works well to everyones greatest benefit then that is the best thing. And certainly there is a lot to be said for having the government share a social media with outside partners, if only because some degree of autonomy would prevent it becoming a government propaganda echo chamber. And who said anything about capital anyway, why can't it be a collective?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.