Agnostic.com

3 7

As a corrections officer, this scares the crap out of me

You may have heard about the new Close Contact guidelines published by the CDC. Instead of 15 consecutive minutes within 6 feet of an infected person, it's now 15 minutes total in 24 hours. And here's the reason why. [washingtonpost.com]

The guidance about transmission of the coronavirus, which causes covid-19, had been discussed by CDC scientists for several weeks, according to a CDC official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share policy discussions. Then came unsettling new evidence in a report published Wednesday. CDC and Vermont health officials discovered the virus was contracted by a 20-year-old prison employee who in an eight-hour shift had 22 interactions — for a total of over 17 minutes — with individuals who later tested positive for the virus.

At the Vermont prison, the correctional worker had multiple brief encounters on July 28 with six prisoners while their coronavirus test results were pending. The next day, all six individuals tested positive. The Vermont health and correction authorities conducted a contact tracing investigation and determined the officer did not meet the definition of a close contact, and he continued to work.
But a week later, the employee had symptoms of covid-19, including loss of smell and taste, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath, and loss of appetite. He got tested the next day and on Aug. 11 found out he was positive.

The officer wore a cloth mask, gown and eye protection during all of the interactions. The infected individuals wore masks during most interactions with him. However, they were not masked during several that took place in a cell doorway and a prison recreation room, the report said.

This basically describes my typical day at work; with the difference that instead of 6 individuals, I'm interacting with 240. And while I may not have close interaction with all, or even most, on any given day I have extended interactions with 10 to 30 different individuals, and incidental interactions with 60 or 70 more just by virtue of making rounds in the housing unit. The hallways are 10 feet wide. Tables in the activity rooms are 2 feet apart. It's not physically possible to stay 6 feet away from other people and still do my job. And if I had a nickel for every time I reminded someone to put his mask on, I'd take home an extra $25 a week.

That's not even mentioning my fellow staff, who really should know better, but sit talking to prisoners with their own masks off their noses or even off completely. So if one of them is exposed, they're a link in a chain to exposing me. That's why I try to stay away from everyone, staff and prisoners alike.

I've had to wrestle with two different prisoners this week, both overdosing on hallucinogenics and neither one with a mask on. Both took multiple officers to get under control. Both incidents had prisoner and staff up in each other's faces for an extended time.

At the end of the day, all I can do is know I've done everything I can to be safe. But damn, it worries me.

Paul4747 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow - I feel for you, and don't blame you one bit for being worried. Actually you're in a worse situation than even health care workers. At least they are all wearing full protective gear.
Your daily exposure is both haphazard and unpredictable.

No easy solution here !

Oh dear, here’s hoping you guys all stay safe 🙁 obviously the guys on the inside are at more risk from you. Scary times.

I think, personally speaking, I'm at more risk from their reckless behavior, but in general terms I sort of see your point. In an ideal world, there would be no infected individuals coming in, but since there's no such thing as an instant test, it's impossible to be 100 percent sure. The trouble is that many of them seem to think we have all the responsibilty to keep them from being exposed and take no steps to protect themselves; no masks, no social distancing except when forced to. That's how outbreaks happen.

Seems to me that putting time limits on contact like 5 or 15 minutes is like tbe 10 second rule in dropped food. Bullshit. Contamination occurs immediately.

I don't have the science background to debate that with you. Take it up with the CDC.

@Paul4747 me neither, but it seems to me that if something is wet or covered with some contaminant, how long do you have to touch it to get wet also.

@Cyklone "Contact" in this sense means, the longer one spends around someone who is actively expelling the virus. True, there's obviously a chance to inhale it after 1 second, but it gets exponentially greater the longer you're in that zone.

@Paul4747 accepted. 🙂

@Paul4747 There will be no absolutes. The time it takes to become infected is bound to follow a bell curve, perhaps centred on 15 mins. but some people will get unlucky and be at the front of the bell curve, and the more times you are expossed the worse your odds.

@Fernapple Yes, but it's looking like the curve may be a lot shorter than previously thought.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.