Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Confirmation Bias: Why You Should Seek Out Disconfirming Evidence

“Beliefs can survive potent logical or empirical challenges. They can survive and even be bolstered by evidence that most uncommitted observers would agree logically demands some weakening of such beliefs. They can even survive the destruction of their original evidential bases.”— Lee Ross and Craig Anderson

“One of the biggest problems with the world today is that we have large groups of people who will accept whatever they hear on the grapevine, just because it suits their worldview—not because it is actually true or because they have evidence to support it. The striking thing is that it would not take much effort to establish validity in most of these cases… but people prefer reassurance to research.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

zblaze 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That much is certain.

A good post! That is the only way that we can be somewhat sure about the accuracy of our beliefs -- if we search for and cannot find disconfirming evidence.

Even those who are familiar with the bias can fall prey. I'd like to think I stand out, but I can tend to jump on a bandwagon and then catch myself. I do make sure I research on my own.

The goal is objective thinking, not critical thinking. That is thinking without bias or seeking any preconcieved conclusion. The ability to follow the evidence where ever it leads.
If the answers come too easy, you're not asking the right questions.

Great quotes. I like the NDT one in particular.

Its the "group think" mentality. Better to fit in than to STANDOUT. Been that way forever and will continue to be. If you have a moment there is a poem that states, " they came for my neighbor and i said nothing, they came for my father and i said nothing, when they came for me there was noone to say anything". Now I know that isnt a correct quote but you get the idea. People will go along to get along. Period.

I too am too lazy to seek out the direct quote so relying on an aging memory here. I'm not sure it was even a poem but it referred either to the Nazi round up off the jews under Hilter or Stalin's purges of his own people where children were encouraged to rat on their parents if they said anything against the party line. Pretty sure it was the latter but happy to be corrected ?

@SimonCyrene Poem by MARTIN NEIMOLLER.

@JayJackson thanks for doing your own research lol. I'll check it out lad.Cheers 🙂

@SimonCyrene I try not to be lazy before commenting or posting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54600
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.