Agnostic.com

2 3

Einstein's theory of relativity, critical for GPS, seen in distant stars

[phys.org]

FearlessFly 9 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are you aware that many highly qualified people do not agree with Einstein’s general and special relativity?

Einstein was a mathematician, not a physicist, and did not subect the results of his thought-experiments to the laboratory tests physicists use: testable hypothesis, test, and confirmation.

One enthusiastic but poorly-informed relativity defender told me relativity is built into cell phones. I corrected him with “A mathematics that approximates relativity is built into cell phones” and he caved.

For another instance, try producing a testable hypothesis that an object’s mass increases to near infinity as its velocity nears the speed of light.

His biographer, Walter Isaacson, wrote of Einstein’s rebellious nature. Whether or how it affected his work is not known.

Remember, no one has ever found a god walking among us.

I'm not aware of anyone claiming that Einstein did experiments -- strawman.

"Einstein was a mathematician"

I find a wealth of claims that he was a (theoretical) physicist (and mathematician) :

[nobelprize.org]
[britannica.com]
[starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov]

@FearlessFly Have you looked for a definition of theoretical physicist? They make “models” and don’t use the scientific method.

Theory of relativity is confirmed 100 years later on numerous occasions. He was pretty smart.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:546433
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.