Agnostic.com

6 12

"Boogaloo Boi" arrest for attacks on Minneapolis police station confirms far-right role in protest violence.

By David Neiwert

"This week’s arrest of a 26-year-old Texas “Boogaloo Boi” for opening fire on a Minneapolis police station with a semiautomatic rifle, and later participating in an act of arson against the station, confirmed what many observers of the violence surrounding the protests against police brutality that followed the May 25 murder of George Floyd already knew: That far-right extremists have been initiating violence and property destruction at the scenes of the protests in hopes of inflaming racial tensions and provoking an all-out civil war, in part by blaming the “violent left” for the chaos.

"The FBI this week arrested Ivan Harrison Hunter of San Antonio for traveling to Minnesota in late May and engaging in violence about which he later boasted on Facebook. Hunter, according to the affidavit filed Monday, was also in contact with another Boogaloo Boi—Steven Carrillo, the California man who murdered a federal officer at an Oakland protest and a sheriff’s deputy five days later—and the two bragged to each other about their respective violent acts. Moreover, the two men had formed a so-called “fire team”—an action squad designed to respond with violence in the event of police attempting to take people’s guns away. They named it the “Happy Friends Group.”

"Though Hunter had sworn he would “go down shooting,” FBI agents arrested him this week in San Antonio without incident, and he made his first court appearance Thursday.

"The affidavit says that Hunter traveled from Texas to Minneapolis on May 27 at the behest of other Boogaloo activists in the state, who put out a national call for help on Facebook. Hunter was in contact with another Boogaloo Boi, Ryan Teeter of North Carolina, who also traveled from his home state to Minnesota. That day, Teeter posted to Facebook: "Lock and load boys. Boog flags are in the air, and the national network is going off."

"The FBI says that on the evening of May 28, Hunter fired off multiple rounds from a rifle resembling an AK-47, then ran away shouting: “Justice for Floyd!”

"The next day, he boasted on Facebook that he had participated in setting the building on fire. “I helped the community burn down that police station,” he wrote, later adding: “I didn’t’ protest peacefully Dude ... Want something to change? Start risking felonies for what is good.”

[dailykos.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is without a doubt the chubbiest revolutionary I've ever seen.

I don't see much coverage of this kind of stuff on cable news, but, I must admit... I'm watching it less all the time

True terrorists

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 28, 2020

It's about time to realize the anti-social ass holes aren't the BLM movement, it's the right wing terrorist.

Shaking my head and they think they are going to make a difference ,yes they are by putting themselves in jail for the rest of there lives and get themselves out of the public domain , Violence does not solve anything

I call them boozhy boys, which is a reference to their class background, and to their adolescent obsession with the 'first person shooter-games' they played as teens. It stands to reason that, after years of shooting imaginary weapons at pixels, they begin imagining what it would be like to shoot real guns at live targets.Their bourgeois upbringing however, inhibits them from actually generating the scale of violence that they fantasize about. Their numbers are small and insignificant . And they lack the organization, ideological unity, and discipline necessary to make them a major threat. Doubtlessly, they glory in the attention they get from the media. And you can bet by now, they have become good and riddled with infiltrators and informants from the police, FBI, and ATF (who make it a point to infiltrate groups like theirs). They are drunken frat boys, easily manipulated by police agents provacateurs

It stands to reason that, after years of shooting imaginary weapons at pixels, they begin imagining what it would be like to shoot real guns at live targets

That doesn't follow at all. Studies of violence in video games have shown it to have no more or less effect on violent behavior, and it's actually been theorized to be a cathartic experience; i.e. a release for aggressive emotions, like a punching bag.

People have been blaming violence in the media back to the days of Bugs Bunny cartoons. The games aren't the problem. The hyper-partisan and apocalyptic atmosphere we live in is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:547531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.