Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Winston Churchill on Islam

Fact-checking claims about Winston Churchill's quotes on Islam

Hages 7 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Women didn't have the vote in America in 1899, either (the year said quote was first published). Social views change over the years and centuries. Islam, like any religion, reinforces the prejudices of its own followers, while opposing religions tend to reinforce prejudices against it.

Since all religions are invented, we can only judge by the behavior of their followers. On that score, all religions fare equally; all have had models of humane and decent conduct, and all have had murderous villains. One need only look at the war in the former Yugoslavia to see examples of this on all sides. As Christopher Hitchens wrote: Religion poisons everything.

@Hages I thought quoting the subtitle was a dead giveaway. 😀 I deliberately referenced his experience in Sarajevo, where he shared a shelter with some Muslims as Muslim forces shelled that part of the city. Then the Orthodox Christian forces shelled it some more, if I recall his account correctly.
Even if it was the other way around, the point stands; brutish behavior on both sides, and motivated by competing religions.

Churchill is lucky, we have recordings and recent writings to keep his words clear.
Buddha however, well let's put it this way, if your read a Buddha quote on the Internet it's almost 100% not what Buddha said. Typically Buddha was long winded and it takes a long time to read one of his poorly worded sermons. Then some Buddhist priest a few centuries later Jesus-fies the sermon into a single quip leaving behind the nuance that you can only get by reading scripture but you better drink a shit ton of caffeine because Buddhist scriptures can put you in a coma because they're so dry and boring.

Here's a link to fake Buddha quotes...
I can't believe it's not Buddha!
[fakebuddhaquotes.com]

I was a stupid bigot when I was a young man too.

Like those of many people, Churchill's words are often "cherry picked", with qualifying statements omitted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:549260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.