Agnostic.com

6 11

What improvements do you make to gear?

For 45 years, when I buy a new hiking pack, I always add loops. Why don't manufacturers provide this useful feature?

Today I firmly sewed loops on each side of the pack. At a seam, I pushed the needle through thick seam binding. This keeps the loop from tearing out.

While hiking, I always carry straps in my pack. Now I can strap on a jacket or gear.

Straps create an arm sling or splint. Also I can strap another person's pack to mine in an emergency.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wise idea

Great idea!

Sadly perhaps, because I am obsessive, nearly everything I get has to be 'improved'. My strolling shoulder bag got too new map pockets on the front. Which are very handy for quick access, but also cover up the ugly manufacturers logo. While my new, for fun, but low carbon transport, got a lockable lid for its basket, to keep things a bit secure, and a towing hook for the really steep hills. (Advantage of three wheels, older people can tow it.)

Fernapple

Brilliant! Great job.

Stainless loops to backpacks to tie stuff you want to get to quickly (tiny shovel, first aid, pocket knife, camera). Stainless loops to dive bouyancy jackets again to tether gear. I bend up and weld the loops ( before attaching 😃). Handcuffs to the bed, for tethering, pockets on the dog leash for crap bags. I think that's about it 🤣🤣 I got into the habit from early days of cave diving when we make and modify all our own gear

Excellent

great idea! I have a large number of packs but I have never put an extra loop on any of them

@Robert_2001

Thanks, Robert. It's extremely useful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:550356
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.