Agnostic.com

4 13

LINK Supreme Court Won’t Hear Case Involving “So Help Me God” in Citizenship Oath | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America — the oath you take when you become a new citizen — will continue ending with the words “so help me God,” after an unsuccessful legal challenge to its constitutionality.

Earlier today, the Supreme Court denied hearing the case, leaving in place a 2018 decision that said the phrase was fine.

snytiger6 9 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hate it when people use "tradition" as an excuse for things being okay and normalized. Just because you've been doing something a certain way for a long time doesn't mean it's right.

I would guess the value of US citizenship is worth any hollow words, ya gotta cops knee on your back don't matter who or what you say

Hear no evil. But their time will come.

I am inclined to think that atheists and agnostics would just say the words anyway to be granted citizenship. I wonder how many religious people would denounce God if that were the criteria required for citizenship....

So help me Odin

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551139
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.