Agnostic.com

10 0

How did you tell your family you were agnostic (or a form of non-religious)?

I have been atheist for several years. I started to not believe in the religion I grew up believing after taking a formal logic course as well as some psychology and science courses.
Fortunately, I was away from home so I did not have to still be endoctrinated. I have been an atheist for six years, now, but I still have to claim the religion and put on a facade when I am home?

My grandfather is a pastor, and my mother has always been religious. I know that I would struggle getting my grandfather to consider my stance, but I do want my mother to know how I feel and why I don't want to go to church or pray or read the bible.

What was your experience in coming out as agnostic (or atheist) to your family or parents? Did you come out or do you continue with a facade?

Millzy 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I decided to keep it to myself. My family would rather me die ‘saved’ than live, preferring my soul to ascend rather that descend.

I think they have a pretty good clue about me, but we have a benevolent ‘don’t ask, don’t tell ‘ thing that’s worked ok for fifteen years.

Religious maniac mother asked which church I was attending, I said none, she asked why not, I said because I am an atheist, she said don't be silly, I'll pray for you.
Matter never raised again until my son was born, when she asked when was he being christened, I said never he can arrange it when he is old enough to decide for himself if he wants to, and I saw her sneak off in to his room with a glass of water an hour later in order to save his soul with a DIY baptism.
A grown up middle aged woman, who still believed in magic water and demons with red hot pokers. Pathetic.

That’s hilarious.

Grandparents and parents were atheists, so it wasn't difficult to not be a believer. Worked out pretty well.

I made it pretty clear by middle school, they still don't believe me, now I'm just a poor lost soul.

Explain it to them in a way that you cannot accept the inconsistencies and the hypocracies in religion. tell them you don't feel comfortable lying to yourself anymore and you no longer want to be a slave to something that doesnt exist. I especially can't understand how black people accept a religion that was practically forced upon them by slavery a short time ago...just be honest. if they can't accept it then ask them if thats how god handles things...casting out family members due to seeking out truth for themselves. do they not see how controlled they really are?

didnt have to my family are all atheists.

I just told them.

I never told my parents or anyone from that generation that I was and in fact always thought I was alone in my disbelief only to learn one of my brothers, his wife and all of his kids are also Atheists. My younger brother considers himself a Christian but I think in name only as he does not attend church nor does he even own a Bible. My dad was a Mennonite so an Atheist in the family would not go down well on that side of the family.

I wrote a letter to my parents tellign them that I was both gay and atheist. I chose a ltter because inperson thigns coudl be said tht coudl nto be taken back.

Anyway, the strategy of coming out as an atheist was more to take away the only tools they had to dispute my beign gay. It all worked out pretty well.

At the end of the day are you trying to satsify your happiness or making others happy
Whether you tell or don't tell what are you going to achieve out of it
are you happy at this point of time if so then why are you making yourself upset trying to please other

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55154
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.