Agnostic.com

25 3

What do you want to be done to your body as you go?

I go to funerals, amongst religious folks, and I question the tradition or ritual or mandate that people need to be put into caskets as if they are being preserved.

I personally want my ashes put into a biodegradable living urn (a tree), but I want to know people's opinions on the purpose of caskets and how they want their funeral service and/or body to go.

Millzy 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They can put me in a Hefty bag and put me on the curb for all l care.

I think it's honorable and unselfish to donate your organs to those who can use them. then cremate the rest and put me out to sea

I,ve left my remains to go to a university for research, assuming they will want it . Might do some good ... Who knows ?
No religious services of course .I might even get a posthumous prize of some sort for facilitating the discovery of the grumpy gene .
Faint that , just a burial in a biodegradable box or whatever .... Give back some nutrients .

I want any needed organs put to good use, the rest recycled somehow.

It can be turned into burgers as far as I'm concerned.

First, I would like my body dragged up the side of a rocky cliff where it will be laid upon a platform for 6 months. After the birds and insects have cleaned the flesh from my bones, my skeleton is to be retrieved. After being further dessicated to remove any remaining moisture and prevent decay, my bones shall be plated in chromium metal and given to Boston Dynamics for the next part of the ritual. At Boston Dynamics The technicians there will reassemble my skeleton, either in it's original conformation, or using their imaginations to reconfigure the skeleton into a more interesting or suitable structure. On all fours with backwards knees would be pretty cool... maybe ribcage up... yeah. Then they can affix servos, batteries and such like to animate their creation with the latest in robot technologies. In addition to this, I'd like an AI chip that uses any available media I have produced as source material as a basis for a machine intelligence. A voicebox shall be fitted so that I may speak, however, I want all the phonemes in the output end of the speech processor to be replaced with unique fart sounds. A dedicated acolyte will be able to decipher the speech and learn something about whatever it is that thinks it was me.

Amen.

Buried.

I think first do the organ donor thing, then if they wan tit, donate it to a medical school or for scientific research , and when they are done with it burnit and compost the ashes.

I'm going to be donated to a body farm. Hopefully, I will contribute to forensic science.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

JimG Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

Cremation is fine with me.

I’m an organ donor if they need it, use it. Cremate the rest of me. I’m kind of a weirdo, even though I’ve never been there, I’d want my ashes cast to the sea off the coast of Ireland. Of course I’m hoping I’ll get there before I die but just in case. I’m not expecting a funeral of any sort or a memorial. And anybody who cares can fight over all my collections of silliness. I’m good with death. We have met a few times. I’ve invited him to tea ????

I have all this laid out in writing for my daughter. I don't want to be buried -- certainly not in a cemetary. I've always considered that such a waste of space. I'm an organ donor, but realistically there may not be much they want at my age and health. No chance to donate as a cadaver to a medical school because they have very restrictive requirements for that. I'd like to be be cremated and have my remains disposed of at the base of a tree or plant.
Obviously I don't want a religious funeral, but if there is a need for closure that will only be satisfied by a gathering, I want it to be a big party with lots of good food and lots of good booze and lots of laughter as people swap stories about time I made a fool of myself (there will be no shortage of material!)

I LOVE your idea, @Millzy! I had a friend once who said that she wanted to be cremated and have her ashes put on a canvas. She said it would be a "self portrait."

Burn baby burn.

Donor, medical science or dump it in the woods. I told my kids not to spend money on a funeral, it's a waste of money. If you need a block of granite on top of you so your loved ones will remember you, you failed in life.

I don't care too much...if there is anything salvageable whom ever wants it can have at it...then I'd say cremate, I love campfires, maybe family and friends can have a big bonfire and scatter me around a bit

The answer is at the end.

Seph Level 6 Apr 12, 2018

I love Neil

This is where I got my idea, anyways.

I got the forms from Queens University about donating my body to medical science however it isnt known till you die whether they will want you or not so I am a bit in limbo undecided - I suppose I could fill in the forms and keep them till I am about to die (Unless I get hit by a bus unexpectedly) and get my partner (if he is still alive) to ask if they want a look-see at my body to see if its a goer - It all seems a bit hit and miss so I don't really know yet what I will do !

Do what they want with it...I won't be needing it anymore

As Danny DeVito says in “its Always Sunny In Philadelphia” -“please, throw it in the dump” lol. Who cares, you’re dead!

I have previously wanted to donate my body to science, but the school doesn't need more bodies. I went to a local funeral home to price cremations, but I was put off by the outrageous price gouging and lack of personal wishes. Then I told my children to just get a permit to haul a dead body from the courthouse and haul my body to the local crematorium, but they weren't keen on doing the driving. Finally I heard about a body farm at my alma mater 60 miles away. That is appropriate! Body farm it is.

I’ve always wanted to rot where I fell, but that’s not realistic with y’all’s society and things have changed. I’d prefer, currently, to be burned and have my ashes combined with my son’s.

Personally I'd like to be dragged out into the wilderness, left on the ground and allowed to decompose naturally. Food for animals, insects, birds.

I thought about the urn tree thing. I definitely want to be cremated. I don't like the idea of my body under six feet of earth. I know it's not rational but I'm claustrophobic.

Well I think we need to live in the present now rather than thinking the future
when you are death what ever happens to your body will not be a concern to you
so I am not going to worry what is going tohappen to me when I am dead but rather enjoy my journey now hope it helps

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.